How to Acclimate

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to Acclimate

The purpose of this article is to discuss proper acclimation procedures for saltwater fish, corals and invertebrates. Improper acclimation is probably one of the leading reasons why livestock suddenly die after being introduced into an aquarium. This inevitable death can take days or even weeks, depending upon the severity of the damage done.

Acclimating fish - When acclimating a new fish into your aquarium, there are only two parameters you need to match: temperature (temp) and salinity (SG). Fish are generally not affected by fluctuating pH, unless it drops below 7.5 for an extended period of time. SG of the “source water” can be determined by asking the LFS or online vendor the fish was purchased from, and then double checked using a refractometer after opening the bag. Temp of the “source water” is less important since it will change by the time you get the fish home, but it’s still a good idea to set your quarantine tank (QT) temp to match. Once you have this information do one of the following:

Preferred acclimation: Float the bag for 20-30 minutes, to slowly bring the temperature of the bag’s water to match that of the receiving tank. Once that is done, open the bag and double check the SG. So long as the SG is within .001 (up or down) of the receiving tank, you can release the fish without further acclimation. Only add the fish; DO NOT add any of his bag water. However, if the difference in SG is greater than .001 (up or down), you must drip acclimate or bag acclimate as outlined below:

Drip acclimation: The downside to this method is exposure to ammonia, which must be avoided at all costs. Even brief exposure to the slightest trace of ammonia can harm a fish’s gills. Prolonged exposure can permanently damage a fish’s liver and kidneys, usually resulting in death within a few days. How much potential ammonia can build up in a bag is directly correlated to how long the fish has been in the bag. A 30 minute drive home from your LFS isn’t going to be a problem, whereas a 12+ hour transit time from an online vendor is. However, it’s important to note that so long as the fish is still inside a sealed bag he’s safe from ammonia. It’s not until the bag is opened that non-toxic ammonium gets converted into toxic ammonia (takes about 30 minutes). As a general rule for drip acclimation, always use ammonia reducer (ex. Amquel or Prime) if a fish has been in transit for more than a couple of hours. It doesn’t hurt anything to add it.

To drip acclimate you’ll need the following: small bucket or similar, airline tubing and a couple of airline suction cups. I suggest keeping the room warm while drip acclimating, or using a heater in the bucket. Place the fish in the bucket with a small amount of bag water. Use the airline tubing as a drip line, tying a simple knot at the bucket end until desired speed of the drip is achieved. You can use the suction cups to adhere the tubing inside the tank and bucket. Drip acclimate until the water in the bucket is within .001 SG of the receiving tank. Ideally, this should only take around 30 minutes. Remember, you can lower SG with a fish much faster than you can safely raise it. Only add fish to the aquarium; DO NOT add any of the bag water.

Bag acclimation: Ammonia precautions are the same as drip acclimation (see above.) Drain bag water until only a small amount remains. Affix bag inside tank, but take precautions to ensure bag water does not cross contaminate tank water. Using a cup, periodically gently pour tank water into the bag until .001 SG match is achieved. Only add fish to the aquarium; DO NOT add any of the bag water.

Acclimating corals/inverts - For corals, acclimation is pretty much the same as it is for fish, except corals do not expel as much waste as fish do, so ammonia is less of a concern. Using a coral dip such as Coral Rx is highly recommended prior to placing them in your tank.

Other inverts such as anemones, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. are much more sensitive to changing water chemistry and should be drip acclimated. You should slow drip these for 45-60 minutes. Starfish are particularly sensitive and should be drip acclimated very slowly - at least 2 hours. Bag acclimation (see above) is an acceptable alternative for most corals/inverts but not with starfish.

Corals, anemones and clams should all be “light acclimated” once placed in your aquarium. This means getting them adjusted to the type/intensity of light you are using, which can be accomplished in a number of ways. You can place light sensitive corals & clams in a shaded area of your tank, and then move up/out into more intensive light over a period of a couple of weeks. Another option is to use layers of dark screen mesh (in conjunction with an egg crate top) over the aquarium, gradually removing one layer at a time. Hardier corals & anemones do fine with just running less intensive lighting (ex. actinic) for a day or two, and/or reducing your photo period at first. LEDS that are dimmable/adjustable are ideal for light acclimation purposes (some even have a “coral acclimation mode” built-in.)

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write-up. For sensitive fish, I skip the drip acclimation and match salinity and ph of my QT to the water in the bag. I can then adjust the salinity over time.

squillaempusa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write-up. For sensitive fish, I skip the drip acclimation and match salinity and ph of my QT to the water in the bag. I can then adjust the salinity over time.

+1. this process works especially good in a pico or small nano.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

I am getting some fish from LiveAquaria and some from Diver's Den. Ordered from both to get free shipping.

They come on the same day. I usually do what you post: that is matching the salinity of the QT with the source water and all I have to do is float the bag for temperature... However, DD's salinity is 1.025 or so and I read Quality Marine's water is about 1.018-1.020. How would you acclimate these fish to the same QT?

I was thinking of setting the QT to 1.021 and doing a quick drip which would be a slight bump for the Quality Marine and a drop for the DD fish. The drop probably wont be a big deal. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@125mph If you've only got one QT to work with, I would set it at 1.020 and then slowly drip acclimate the DD specimens. It's easier for fish to go down in salinity than up. Double check with LADD that Diver's Den specimens do not arrive with copper in the bag water, so you can use an ammonia reducer while drip acclimating.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will start them on separate tanks. A 10gallon and a 20 gallon and matching salinity on each. I will slowly match both tank's salinity and combined them during TTM.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will start them on separate tanks. A 10gallon and a 20 gallon and matching salinity on each. I will slowly match both tank's salinity and combined them during TTM.

That's for sure the best way. I have found fish to tolerate downward changes in salinity even better than the 0.001 mark. Like Humblefish said, ammonia is your biggest enemy by far.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you guys do this, give food at one end of the tank and release the newcomer at the other end. Feed a little bit more to the current members and after that, turn off the lights for one day.
Ime, they dont pay much attention to the new guy compared to when i used to release new fish without feeding and lights on

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you guys do this, give food at one end of the tank and release the newcomer at the other end. Feed a little bit more to the current members and after that, turn off the lights for one day.
Ime, they dont pay much attention to the new guy compared to when i used to release new fish without feeding and lights on

I've done both. The new guy typically goes in an hour before lights out, and I hope to still see him the next day. ;) Typically aggression towards him is not as severe if I had put him in earlier that same day. I also like to use an acclimation box, before releasing, for a day or two.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish HELP! I put a Scribbled Rabbitfish into an acclimation box in my DT about two hours ago. He had spent 2 mos in QT and was doing great. I checked SG in both tanks (1.025) and temperature 76.8. I then did a drip acclimation for about 30 min before placing him in the acclimation box.
He is clearly in distress. Got his camouflage color going and is listing at about a 45° angle and not moving much at all. His pectoral fins are moving rapidly but other than not much movement; he seems to be drifting with the flow in the tank. Thought maybe the LED lighting was bothering him so I covered the box to make it darker. Another fish, a clownish, from the same QT is doing fine. Should I just give him more time? Put him back in the QT?

Last edited:

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish HELP! I put a Scribbled Rabbitfish into an acclimation box in my DT about two hours ago. He had spent 2 mos in QT and was doing great. I checked SG in both tanks (1.025) and temperature 76.8. I then did a drip acclimation for about 30 min before placing him in the acclimation box.
He is clearly in distress. Got his camouflage color going and is listing at about a 45° angle and not moving much at all. His pectoral fins are moving rapidly but other than that I see nothing out of the ordinary. Thought maybe the LED lighting was bothering him so I covered the box to make it darker. Another fish, a clownish, from the same QT is doing fine. Should I just give him more time? Put him back in the QT?

Sorry, wasn't logged in so I had to redo. Looks like it posted up three times.
Don't know how to delete.

Last edited:

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I posted this 911 message to Brew 12 on another thread and he was available. Counseled me that Rabbitfish are timid in nature and behavior normal. Suggested that if I didn't have any known aggressors in the DT to go ahead and release him. I followed his advice.
Rabbitfish is hiding safely in a corner somewhere. Thanks again for all your guidance and advice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back