How to address low pH

GregfromOz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the API High Range pH test for a long time, but I have trouble because my old eyes are not great at reading colour gradations. I replaced it recently with the Hanna pH checker. On first use, the checker gave me a reading of 7.8, well below the consistent 8.1 I'd been getting from the API test. Assuming the Hanna is accurate, this seems pretty low. My kH has been jumping around a bit, partially due to issues with my doser. I use the basic IO salt (not the reef crystals) and dose KH with Red Sea B liquid.

Is this pH level cause for concern, and is there anything I can do to get it back to a better level? (I've read that 8.3 is about right).

Screenshot_20201101-180527_Aquarium Note.jpg Screenshot_20201102-121835_Aquarium Note.jpg

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a little low especially if it is a daytime reading as it will dip even lower at night. There are numerous options but I would look up articles by Randy Holmes Farley who discusses the issue at length.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low ph can be caused by co2 in the water. Either from tank inhabitats, or co2 dissolving from ambient air. If you can, open a window to reduce ambient co2 or try to increase air-water interface via surface agitation or a skimmer.

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using the API High Range pH test for a long time, but I have trouble because my old eyes are not great at reading colour gradations. I replaced it recently with the Hanna pH checker. On first use, the checker gave me a reading of 7.8, well below the consistent 8.1 I'd been getting from the API test. Assuming the Hanna is accurate, this seems pretty low. My kH has been jumping around a bit, partially due to issues with my doser. I use the basic IO salt (not the reef crystals) and dose KH with Red Sea B liquid.

Is this pH level cause for concern, and is there anything I can do to get it back to a better level? (I've read that 8.3 is about right).

Screenshot_20201101-180527_Aquarium Note.jpg Screenshot_20201102-121835_Aquarium Note.jpg
i am currently fighting the same thing. My PH will go from 7.8 during the day and 7.5 during the night according to my apex. Its done this since I set up my apex. I opened all my windows/doors in my house on a nice cool day last weekend and my ph went up 2 8.05. So I figured CO2 was my problem. The route I took was run a air line on my skimmer directly outside. It helped me some but my PH tops out at 7.99 and goes down to 7.65 at night. I only run my skimmer during the day. I'm in the same spot as you are. Kinda stuck now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the action point is at pH 7.8, and I do not like to see pH below that. Many fine reef aquaria have pH hitting pH 7.8 at night. Corals might grow faster at higher pH, but you may or may not notice a difference.

This has more on how to deal with pH issues:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Wouldn't be too concerned about a 7.8ph just get it locked in and consistent..

Well, I personally would be far happier if that was a daily low than if it was locked at pH 7.8. It has been shown that corals grow faster if they are higher in pH at least some of the time than always stuck low.

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I personally would be far happier if that was a daily low than if it was locked at pH 7.8. It has been shown that corals grow faster if they are higher in pH at least some of the time than always stuck low.
True I Dos Kalkwasser in my ATO and I a Air line outside on my skimmer and my the highest I can get my PH is 8.1 according to my APEX

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my own research the best options to raise pH are Kalk Reactors, C02 scrubbers, and refugiums.

OP
OP
GregfromOz

GregfromOz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my own research the best options to raise pH are Kalk Reactors, C02 scrubbers, and refugiums.
I have been considering a small refugium for a while now, but not moved because I have no nitrates issue (if anything they're too low). There is a small space in my eShopps sump for one, so maybe I should move on that.

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been considering a small refugium for a while now, but not moved because I have no nitrates issue (if anything they're too low). There is a small space in my eShopps sump for one, so maybe I should move on that.
I currently run a fuge as well but its to remove nutrients but it does help with the ph when my main display light is off.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back