How to adjust for ponies and when to remove other fish.

Knight_Solaire01

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2020
Messages
210
Reaction score
118
Location
Nashville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I have been in the long process of preparing a seahorse friendly 32 gallon biocube tank. Currently the only FISH fish that I have are two damsels. I will of course remove them before I put in the horses as ponies need very specific tank mates if any at all, and damsels are incredibly mean and territorial. My question is can I remove the damsels up to a week before the ponies arrive and go into my tank? Is it okay to just leave the cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, and brittle star in there? I ask as I want to know if the helpful bacteria created from the fishes waste is needed or will stick around that long when I already have a protein skimmer running. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
 
You can remove them whenever, As long as you put some food in there I wouldn't worry.
I will also see about adding some pods as they went away after a few water changes. And I will only have one water change between now and getting the ponies. They eat them too, right?
 
No, pods are far too small for seahorses unless you’re talking about amphipods. If you want live food, Mysis, amphipods, and saltwater grass shrimp are great.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new