Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room has a 13foot concrete wall that I need to run my plumbing along for multiple tanks. Whats the best way to mount the pvc pie to the concrete wall? I want a clean and organized look.
See my build thread. Attach plywood to wall with concrete screws and then mount PVC to plywood.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have drywall and plywood so its wood screws
I have been using these for awhile and love them. Using a 1/4" drive with a 1/4" masonry bit drill hole and drive home
The head drills out easy for removal. Tapcons are costly and tend to wash-out the hole unless you use Loooong one$$$$
1569954751893.png

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have drywall and plywood so its wood screws
I have been using these for awhile and love them. Using a 1/4" drive with a 1/4" masonry bit drill hole and drive home
The head drills out easy for removal. Tapcons are costly and tend to wash-out the hole unless you use Loooong one$$$$
1569954751893.png
I used Tapcons. They worked well but, as you said, they are expensive. One important design point for me was to rest the plywood on the floor. That way, the Tapcons were not bearing any weight. They simply held the plywood against the wall.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard what size pipe? 1'- 2" I would use a 2 hole strap multiple pipes definitely uni-strut, small stuff 1/2-3/4 one hole strap and any wood screw laying around

It's all of the above. I have 2in to 1/2in that are going to be running all over the place.

Here is my build thread. I'll take some pictures of the wall i'm talking about tonight so you guys can see what I'm working with. So far I'm liking the plywood idea. I think that would make the space look better.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my build thread. Attach plywood to wall with concrete screws and then mount PVC to plywood.
Interesting idea.

For my wall i'll have a giant sump up against it along with a frag tank. I'd probably need to do some kind of waterproof paint on the plywood?

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea.

For my wall i'll have a giant sump up against it along with a frag tank. I'd probably need to do some kind of waterproof paint on the plywood?
Yep, you will want to waterproof the plywood. No matter how careful you are, things get wet and (eventually) grungy. Always design with maintenance in mind!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea.

If you do go this route, I suggest you don't mount the plywood directly to the concrete wall. Mount pressure treated 2x4s on there flat side with plastic spacers on them between them and the concrete. Then mount the plywood onto those. This leaves room between the wood and concrete for any moisture coming from the concrete to dissipate.

JasonC80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unistrut as mentioned if you need to hang it away from the wall for some obstructions, ceiling, or where a surface isnt right where the pipe will be.

If its flat surface mounting all the way, look into Clic2 IPS pipe hangers

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back