How to catch a bobbit worm

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone turns out I have a bobbit worm living in my sand bed hes small-ish and in my last thread I got some great advice on removal but just want to see if anyone has any tips or tricks on Removing one. All advice is appreciated

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rip clean the tank, take him out surgically. we have threads on the steps for sure.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you aren't going to coax him into a trap, only a portion will go in but not the whole worm. I had to take my tank apart to remove mine, and its not hard to do its the same steps we do when someone is moving homes, there isn't any cycle risk at all its just work we have to do to effect change we want.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you aren't going to coax him into a trap, only a portion will go in but not the whole worm. I had to take my tank apart to remove mine, and its not hard to do its the same steps we do when someone is moving homes, there isn't any cycle risk at all its just work we have to do to effect change we want.
Do these worms live in the sandbed or dens within the rock? In order to remove it, do you need to first know where it lives?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will inhabit all areas. watch for him during disassembly, we may be splitting open some rocks too. There isnt any way to get him into a trap at all, only half goes in they wont actually fully leave the hole they'll just reach out ten inches to grab trap food lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you disturb a mixed bed this level it becomes a nutrient pump. We need to actually clean the sand afterwards, before put back, or you risk massive outbreaks not long after. Cleaning isn’t destabilizing, it’s stabilizing.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no luck might just have to remove all my sand and replace it
20210712_122635.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can also tap rinse and reuse that sand. We did it fifty pages there choose any example

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a 90% chance we can't get him, he'll hole up too far, and must reassemble and try again later. it wont cloud like this though, the rinse prep coming up will hold for weeks before it gets this messy requiring another rinse if deep dives are required. it'll be worth it. the cleaning adds much lifespan anyway

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just take it out and rinse it I'm not worried about a crash as I have no fish and around 3 snails left after my dude has been munching on them

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed 95% of the sand but couldn't find him while rinsing it. Guessing he's either in the rocks that I removed or hidden in the little sand left

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I think I'm just going to restart my tank as It will just be easier and I'd like a fresh start with this tank. When and if I find the bobbit I'll upload a picture for yall to enjoy.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone turns out I have a bobbit worm living in my sand bed hes small-ish and in my last thread I got some great advice on removal but just want to see if anyone has any tips or tricks on Removing one. All advice is appreciated

Lots of work there!

So here's the thing, most of these 'Bobbit Worms' people freak out about in reef tanks are not the nasty jaw snapping 10 ft long demons we see on documentaries (aka: Eunice aphroditois). The vast majority of these types of worms are from various genera with hundreds of species of different sizes (some small as 1/2"), with Eunice being probably the most well known. They can be carnivorous, omnivorous, detritovorous and even herbivorous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunicidae

I have at least two species that have lived in a small 12g nano for many years (little guys the thickness of spagheti in the sand bed and a bit bigger/thicker one in the rockwork, all very secretive). There have been no issues that I could attribute to them.

IMO/IME, unless strange and unexplained fish/coral losses have started occuring in a system, there is really no need to exterminate these weird and facinating life forms.

PS - Snails die all the time, so unless you see a worm attacking it's likely something else (such as hermit crabs looking for a new shell, overdosing of magnesium, large salinity swings, etc.).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back