OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to drain my entire tank! It makes it extra hard because they naturally stick close to the rock, are cautious, and elusive. I’ve tried all of the tricks. Net, red lights, clear cup, trap etc, everything but a literal fishing hook.

Luckily it was a new tank, and not overly large but it was impossible for me otherwise. If it’s a smaller tank I’d definitely recommend or you’ll pull your hair out and waste a weekend trying. Once drained, I grabbed him in like 10 seconds then refilled the tank. Took 30 minutes all together

IMG_9887.jpeg
IMG_9889.jpeg
IMG_9888.jpeg
I hope I don't have to drain my whole tank to catch this fish. If I was to do this I do not know if some of the corals could survive out of the water for a long period of time.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah even though I'd argue fish like copperbands and filefish are more likely to be problematic with nipping, I think one of the reasons people really caution dwarf angels is because if they DO nip getting them out is a massive headache
I am never getting angel fish again. It is not worth the hassle and losing corals over the flame angel is not fun.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
random but do you have a lid? Whenever i need to catch a fish i turn it vertical, put it in the tank and trap the fish in the open on one side. Much easier to catch
I don't have a lid.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a self proclaimed fish whisperer! Ha

Have caught so many fish out of my 150g and 225g mixed reefs, including three flames angels (some people never learn! Ha).

They’re smart and very difficult to catch, but you WILL catch it!

Do NOT use a net to just go in there and catch it. It will just tip him off that’s somethings up and make him even more skittish than usual.

Here three effective methods, and you can try all three together.
1) the red light approach can work. At night when the room is dark but tank lights are still on, flip on red spectrum lights only (or get a red hunting flashlight). Fish (like deer) can’t see in red light. Wait for the flame to swim to a vulnerable spot, flip to red and quickly scoop him with a net.
2) in the middle of the night when the tank and room are pitch black, turn your lights on full power white light. Fish will typically swim out of their caves stunned and confused. Scoop with a net. Even better, if you know where the flame sleeps you can poke him out to encourage him swimming out when the lights go on.
3) I’ve had the most success with fish trips. I have a large rectangle one that i can bait with frozen food. Only source of food is in the trap 1x/ day. Key here is patience. It can take days or even a week or two. You can even play the long game and just leave the trap in the tank and bait it once a day without ever dropping the door - this will get the fish more comfortable swimming in and out of the trap like it’s part of their natural habitat. When fish is all the way in, boom - drop the door!

That’s what i got! Let us know how it goes, and feel free to DM me with any other questions.
Thanks for the help! I will try the red light at night and turn the lights to max tonight. My fish trap comes next Wednesday so I will keep you updated. Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I don't have to drain my whole tank to catch this fish. If I was to do this I do not know if some of the corals could survive out of the water for a long period of time.
I have drained a few tanks to catch fish, and if you have a good portable submersible pump and trash cans for water storage it can be done in an hour easily and coral can handle a low tide fairly easily. I have never lost a coral to desiccation but I have bumped and broken a few colonies trying to catch a fish darting around the tank.

Excavate a gathering hole in an accessible location where you want to catch the fish, sloping the substrate towards that location. As the tank drains the fish will move to that spot to stay submerged.

Trick to remove the water is having an 1” or larger siphon hose.

If you don’t have a Brute, buy as many as you need at Home Depot and dry them and return them when you get done.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a flame angel that he’s been nipping at corals recently. I need to get him out by Friday. What is the easiest way to do it.

If I go in with a net they will probably his in the rocks. Maybe I should try feeding them and try to catch him from behind.

What are your thoughts?
Always had success with fish traps

trap3.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drained a few tanks to catch fish, and if you have a good portable submersible pump and trash cans for water storage it can be done in an hour easily and coral can handle a low tide fairly easily. I have never lost a coral to desiccation but I have bumped and broken a few colonies trying to catch a fish darting around the tank.

Excavate a gathering hole in an accessible location where you want to catch the fish, sloping the substrate towards that location. As the tank drains the fish will move to that spot to stay submerged.

Trick to remove the water is having an 1” or larger siphon hose.

If you don’t have a Brute, buy as many as you need at Home Depot and dry them and return them when you get done.
I am going to give the fish trap a try and if that doesn’t work I will drain the tank. That will be the last thing on the list.

Thanks for the help

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tankmatez to the rescue …. I’ve used this trap catching a six line wrasse and a kole tang with success…so easy !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got one coming on Wednesday. Let’s hope this fish goes in the trap!
Day one, add brine shrimp and let the fish go in and eat comfortably
Day two, do the same but get ready for fish to go in and release the door and you got him

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Is there a way I could divide the tank in half or even a quarter and trap him in a section of the tank?
I did this. It’s harder than you think, but it works.

I used the DIY screen net to section off portions. You could even put it on top of your rockwork so it can’t go in.

The tricky part of making sure there are no gaps between the net and tank wall

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want a tip from a former wholesaler?
Get a clear container like a specimen box.
Lower it into the tank gently then use a net to herd the fish into the container.
it has never failed me.
good luck

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to drain my entire tank! It makes it extra hard because they naturally stick close to the rock, are cautious, and elusive. I’ve tried all of the tricks. Net, red lights, clear cup, trap etc, everything but a literal fishing hook.

Luckily it was a new tank, and not overly large but it was impossible for me otherwise. If it’s a smaller tank I’d definitely recommend or you’ll pull your hair out and waste a weekend trying. Once drained, I grabbed him in like 10 seconds then refilled the tank. Took 30 minutes all together

IMG_9887.jpeg
IMG_9889.jpeg
IMG_9888.jpeg
This was my route in my 400 gallon tank, I bought 500g cheap outside pool for like $90 on Amazon to get this done.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want a tip from a former wholesaler?
Get a clear container like a specimen box.
Lower it into the tank gently then use a net to herd the fish into the container.
it has never failed me.
good luck
I did that, but dosent work when you have aquascape your whole tank.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9887.jpeg
IMG_9889.jpeg
IMG_9888.jpeg
What i had to do to catch one of my Tangs. My flame and firefish are the two im always worried about catching.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They start nipping corals because there is not enough sponge in their diet. They need regular feeding of frozen that includes sponge then they won't nip corals.
What type of sponge? I feed lots of frozen.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back