How to catch fish with so many rocks.

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have an outbreak of ich I’m trying to catch my fish to give them a freshwater dip but I can’t. There are too many rocks. Anyone have any tips for catching fish with so may rocks.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
1 tip is Remove all Rock.

Yeah it’s a pain. Do you want dead fish?

or , you can Plumb a High Wattage UV sterilizer to reduce the numbers of ich. Which is also referred to Ich management.

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I catch my fish by setting up lots of medium and large size nets. Block them off and black bag em.

I agree with jmike too removing the rock is a valid option depending on your scape.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught many a fish in my DT with this... works like a charm. Set it up, grab a drink, add food to trap, and wait...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that just sounds like fun
Works amazing with a hole damsels , squirrel fish , triggers ,

Tie a piece or line to a small hook with no barbs .
bait it and wait .
A beer goes well while checking out the local fishing hole .

watch the hook and avoid the ones you don’t want to catch .

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Haha If you do that ^ with a hook get a video , that’s interesting!

Pretty much breaking down your tank is the quickest and guaranteed way

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A post from not long ago . @Rellikeno described it a little better

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught many a fish in my DT with this... works like a charm. Set it up, grab a drink, add food to trap, and wait...
This trap only worked on a couple of the fish i was not trying to catch. The tangs and wrasse are too fast and can get out once the door starts coming down.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This trap only worked on a couple of the fish i was not trying to catch. The tangs and wrasse are too fast and can get out once the door starts coming down.
Patience... I caught 4 tangs with it. Yellow, sailfin, purple, and hippo. The purple was the worst... he saw all the others and was reluctant to go in. He finally succumbed after 24 hrs without feeding and he couldn't resist.
The wrasse, I totally agree, a real pain. The worst was the blennie and the easiest was the hawkfish.
It does work, just takes patience and persistence. I had to go fallow a yr ago and I was able to catch all the fish with it over 2 days.
Oh, for the door to close quicker, just add some weight to it. Works like a charm!
There is a new trap by Nyos that folks swear by... might be worth trying. Haven't tried, so can't comment.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience... I caught 4 tangs with it. Yellow, sailfin, purple, and hippo. The purple was the worst... he saw all the others and was reluctant to go in. He finally succumbed after 24 hrs without feeding and he couldn't resist.
The wrasse, I totally agree, a real pain. The worst was the blennie and the easiest was the hawkfish.
It does work, just takes patience and persistence. I had to go fallow a yr ago and I was able to catch all the fish with it over 2 days.
Oh, for the door to close quicker, just add some weight to it. Works like a charm!
There is a new trap by Nyos that folks swear by... might be worth trying. Haven't tried, so can't comment.
ahh the weighted door!!! I did not think of that. Would definitely have worked better.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain tank to where only 6-10 inches of water or keep draining and keep trying to catch.if still hard drain some more.
Ovbiously save the water and put water back in after

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I’m on my way this week to get another tank I have no wear to put all my rock it’s covered in coral. I was thinking of getting a tank to place the rock. Take the rock out then catch. But this trap looks so appealing. Man. Ich is tough. I feel
So bad for my fish and my fiancé. She has cried a lot and we just lost another. Anyone know about this rally product. We are using kick ich. But nothing yet. I’ve read only negative reviews for a DT with inverts and coral. I’m going to buy a trap I think.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I’m on my way this week to get another tank I have no wear to put all my rock it’s covered in coral. I was thinking of getting a tank to place the rock. Take the rock out then catch. But this trap looks so appealing. Man. Ich is tough. I feel
So bad for my fish and my fiancé. She has cried a lot and we just lost another. Anyone know about this rally product. We are using kick ich. But nothing yet. I’ve read only negative reviews for a DT with inverts and coral. I’m going to buy a trap I think.
I’ve had tremendous luck netting them at night. The trick is to shine a very bright light onto their face in the middle of the night and then net them up. Find their sleeping spot, flashlight stun, net. It works super well

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there and I feel your pain. My wife was the same as your fiance. She was beside herself... Lost a lot of fish when I went through it... It's a hard lesson learned and one I won't repeat.
Traps work, it just takes patience. You may want to try a couple different ones. The Nyos one wasn't out when I was going through this, so it may be an option. Not every trick will work with all the fish... you may have to try different tactics for different fish. I wasn't about ready to remove 300lbs of rock to catch them, so I had to be very creative. Netting at night is a good option if you can get a net to all the crevices; I couldn't.
One thing I did learn is that putting the trap in the tank for a day before baiting is key... the fish aren't as alarmed by the presence of the trap. Another trick was to use different foods for different fish. Tangs love nori, etc... Use the bait that they can't resist.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences is that the traps work. Or drain a lot of water! This evil, EVIL sixline wouldn't do coke bottle traps, no netting or just about everything else. A bit of mysis soaked in garlic goes a LONG way!
Message_1634161588454.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back