How to clean sump

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is starting to get a build up of detritus. I've seen folks talk about vacuuming out the sump but my sump is only a few inches above the living room floor and I can't seem to get a vacuum started - how do I do this? Do I use a shop vac instead of a typical aquarium "gravel vac?"

Thanks!

jenkinscrew2578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same bucket shopvac. I have to empty the bucket quite a few times and fills up fast but does the job. Pretty much its a small water change. Just turn off your equipment, scrape all the walls and baffles to remove anything growing, suck all the water and junk out, fill it back up with new saltwater and turn everything back on. :)

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make things easier on yourself and put a powerhead or two in your sump so no detritus is able to settle. You can also dose something like Remediation from AquaVitro to the sump which will help breakdown the detritus, I like to dose 1 inner capful of remediation once a week to the intake of my reactor that houses Matrix and it helps prevent detritus from building up between the media and on top of the plunger.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make things easier on yourself and put a powerhead or two in your sump so no detritus is able to settle. You can also dose something like Remediation from AquaVitro to the sump which will help breakdown the detritus, I like to dose 1 inner capful of remediation once a week to the intake of my reactor that houses Matrix and it helps prevent detritus from building up between the media and on top of the plunger.
True, but I'd rather let the detritus settle in the sump. If it's not , it's back in the water and the display.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but I'd rather let the detritus settle in the sump. If it's not , it's back in the water and the display.
You want the detritus in the water column as much as possible because then it has the opportunity to go into the overflow and into your mechanical filtration like a sock. Also you should aim to have good enough water flow in your DT so that detritus doesn't settle, if that can't be achieved then that's when you see people use things like turkey basters to blast water into the LR to get the detritus suspended into the water column and ideally eventually into your sock. Leaving the detritus to settle in your sump IMO is setting yourself up for failure because let's be honest generally speaking the cleaning out of a sump is something that isn't done nearly as often as changing/cleaning your mechanical filtration and the longer it sits at the bottom of your sump the more of an effect it will have on your water quality.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the detritus in the water column as much as possible because then it has the opportunity to go into the overflow and into your mechanical filtration like a sock. Also you should aim to have good enough water flow in your DT so that detritus doesn't settle, if that can't be achieved then that's when you see people use things like turkey basters to blast water into the LR to get the detritus suspended into the water column and ideally eventually into your sock. Leaving the detritus to settle in your sump IMO is setting yourself up for failure because let's be honest generally speaking the cleaning out of a sump is something that isn't done nearly as often as changing/cleaning your mechanical filtration and the longer it sits at the bottom of your sump the more of an effect it will have on your water quality.
yes but your blowing it from the sump into the display and back into the sump again.
I agree, better filter socks.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, once a year, I've pulled the sump out completely, and scrubbed it at the sink. Clean sponge, no soap, just water and elbow grease.

My new system, the sump will be well above floor level, and easily accessible. I _should_ be able to siphon fairly easily.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice, thanks all. I think I'm gonna head to the Big Box Warehouse store and pick up a small shop vac this weekend. I think that's the best option for me.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered leaving the detritus in the sump? I have a nice population of brittle stars and pods living in the mulm in my sump, and I don't have any issues with high PO4/NO3.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grab a turkey baster and use that every time I change filter socks. Takes less than a minute to blow things up in sump and no build up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back