How to clear velvet from a quarantine tank?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I read was the whole quarantine process failed and all the fish died. The op wanted to start over.
The only real bacteria that would be worth while saving would have been in the sponge filters which as long as they were put through the full 30 days copper. Is it worth it to save the sponge material, or just start over with new sponge and a bacteria source.

Using bleach on everything will kill off any trace of the velvet.

So unless I missed something, I stand by my recommendations.
If the intention is to start another QT cycle immediately, then you are correct, finishing the copper treatment to eradicate the parasite wouldn't work as there isn't time.

I read the OP's query to ask what needs done now that all the fish have died, to make it habitable in the future.

I keep 2 qt tanks running empty or full. Both have been going at least 6 months and the only way I would nuke it with bleach is if there were any signs of urinoma.

I would Not add new fish to a qt which has not finished a full copper cycle, after being decimated by velvet. If new fish were needing to add immediately, it would be a fresh start/nuclear option.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the intention is to start another QT cycle immediately, then you are correct, finishing the copper treatment to eradicate the parasite wouldn't work as there isn't time.

I read the OP's query to ask what needs done now that all the fish have died, to make it habitable in the future.

I keep 2 qt tanks running empty or full. Both have been going at least 6 months and the only way I would nuke it with bleach is if there were any signs of urinoma.

I would Not add new fish to a qt which has not finished a full copper cycle, after being decimated by velvet. If new fish were needing to add immediately, it would be a fresh start/nuclear option.
Alright then if I just continue the copper cycle as I’m not in any rush, the LFS I use holds fish you buy for as long as you want either way, would it matter how high I keep the copper or as long as it’s 0.5 and above? I kept it around 0.5 since the fish can’t handle it but it I just let the copper (cupramime) shoot to like 1.0 will that still fight the velvet? I mostly ask since it just makes my life easier to go all out on copper so it lasts longer.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then if I just continue the copper cycle as I’m not in any rush, the LFS I use holds fish you buy for as long as you want either way, would it matter how high I keep the copper or as long as it’s 0.5 and above? I kept it around 0.5 since the fish can’t handle it but it I just let the copper (cupramime) shoot to like 1.0 will that still fight the velvet? I mostly ask since it just makes my life easier to go all out on copper so it lasts longer.
I stopped using Cupramine a while ago as it was visually harder on fish, running side by side tanks vs CopperSafe and I don't recall what the minimum therapeutic dose was but I would still keep it at therapeutic levels, for the recommended duration to ensure you have eradicated the pest.

I believe on the bottle, it says 14 days treatment. That is the Minimum time I would feel comfortable.

You'll also likely want to bring the copper level down some before adding your newly purchased fish. I've had some fish do very poorly adding in to a tank at full dose. Many were just fine, but I choose not to risk it.

When empty, the tanks sit sub 1/2 dose. Even Wrasses generally do fine for me like this on introduction.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using Cupramine a while ago as it was visually harder on fish, running side by side tanks vs CopperSafe and I don't recall what the minimum therapeutic dose was but I would still keep it at therapeutic levels, for the recommended duration to ensure you have eradicated the pest.

I believe on the bottle, it says 14 days treatment. That is the Minimum time I would feel comfortable.

You'll also likely want to bring the copper level down some before adding your newly purchased fish. I've had some fish do very poorly adding in to a tank at full dose. Many were just fine, but I choose not to risk it.

When empty, the tanks sit sub 1/2 dose. Even Wrasses generally do fine for me like this on introduction.
I can get copper safe but is it safe to mix cupramine with copper safe since the tank was already dosed with cupramine? And what’s the minimum amount id want for coppersafe?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I just said what I would do, nothing else. I try only to pass along stuff I've done successfully myself.
If all of the fish in my quarantine tank died while I had them under treatment with copper, then I would start over by sterilizing everything.

I usually take my quarantine tanks down in between needs.
I also keep at least 1 sponge filter going all the time in my display tanks sump so I don't see my need to keep it going all the time.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just said what I would do, nothing else. I try only to pass along stuff I've done successfully myself.
If all of the fish in my quarantine tank died while I had them under treatment with copper, then I would start over by sterilizing everything.

I usually take my quarantine tanks down in between needs.
I also keep at least 1 sponge filter going all the time in my display tanks sump so I don't see my need to keep it going all the time.
We're all here having discussions.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't mean it the way it came out. It was a personal bad morning that I shouldn't have let carry over to real life.
I'm trade you a bad morning for a sad afternoon. Cheers
Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back