How to clear velvet from a quarantine tank?

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m here with some sort of somber news, I’d been treating my fish for velvet and they did sadly kick the bucket, there were in a qt bin that had a sponge filter some media to hold bacteria and a heater and finally pvc decorations, I was wondering as the bin of as used for treating velvet what should I do to clear it of velvet or any parasites since I want to put fish I plan to get in it to qt them whilst my actual reef tank is in the no fish phase

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just empty it and clean it out or keep it empty for 45 days at 81F (30 days with copper power/safe at 2.5ppm). You might be able to bump up the temp more and possibly speed it up. If you empty it out, I'd wipe everything down with hydrogen peroxide

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just empty it and clean it out or keep it empty for 45 days at 81F (30 days with copper power/safe at 2.5ppm)
Should I also get a new sponge filter and restart the cycle or just do a full change of water and clean the decor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Drain and leave it fishless 60 days and increase temperature to 81 degrees is best
Sorry to hear fish were lost

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I also get a new sponge filter and restart the cycle or just do a full change of water and clean the decor

Any surface could be considered contaminated. However, if the copper is at the right level, the velvet shouldn't be able to infect new fish regardless. I personally would rinse it out with peroxide or rubbing alcohol and then boil the rest of the items (or put them all in a bin with peroxide over night).

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any surface could be considered contaminated. However, if the copper is at the right level, the velvet shouldn't be able to infect new fish regardless. I personally would rinse it out with peroxide or rubbing alcohol and then boil the rest of the items (or put them all in a bin with peroxide over night).
Thanks! Based off the people’s recommendations I’ll go ahead and boil all the equipment and wipe down them with hydrogen peroxide and bleach the tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would do a strong bleach soak with all the equipment in it. I would toss any sponge filters, but keep the bases they come on.
Probably 1 cup per 5 gallons of water for a couple hours drain, wipe it out and let air dry for a couple days.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Based off the people’s recommendations I’ll go ahead and boil all the equipment and wipe down them with hydrogen peroxide and bleach the tank
Generally boiling saltwater equipment is frowned upon due due to the potential to put poisons into the air.. probably less of a concern in just a QT tank but.
Also the thread I linked at the top has a video & instructions on sterilizing using vinegar/bleach.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a strong bleach soak with all the equipment in it. I would toss any sponge filters, but keep the bases they come on.
Probably 1 cup per 5 gallons of water for a couple hours drain, wipe it out and let air dry for a couple days.
So my sponge filter is one of those ones that has like bioballs in the base of it should I throw out the bioballs? or would bleach those also work?

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sponge filter is one of those ones that has like bioballs in the base of it should I throw out the bioballs? or would bleach those also work?
Here’s a photo of the filter.

Attachments

• 04C31198-FA38-467E-9F09-8EF762C8A2A4.jpeg
    04C31198-FA38-467E-9F09-8EF762C8A2A4.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 47

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finish the standard copper treatment in the tank...

IF We are in agreement that after 30 days of copper, your QT and inhabitants are now velvet free, I have no idea why people are saying to follow the qt.

Bleach bombing is also going to destroy the bacterial composite that you've built up in this tank that helps with new arrivals (losing your cycled media)

Finishing the copper treatment, Even in an empty tank, will leave you with an empty, cycled tank, free of the parasite.

It doesn't need to be nuked.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just finish the standard copper treatment in the tank...

IF We are in agreement that after 30 days of copper, your QT and inhabitants are now velvet free, I have no idea why people are saying to follow the qt.

Bleach bombing is also going to destroy the bacterial composite that you've built up in this tank that helps with new arrivals (losing your cycled media)

Finishing the copper treatment, Even in an empty tank, will leave you with an empty, cycled tank, free of the parasite.

It doesn't need to be nuked.
What I read was the whole quarantine process failed and all the fish died. The op wanted to start over.
The only real bacteria that would be worth while saving would have been in the sponge filters which as long as they were put through the full 30 days copper. Is it worth it to save the sponge material, or just start over with new sponge and a bacteria source.

Using bleach on everything will kill off any trace of the velvet.

So unless I missed something, I stand by my recommendations.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I read was the whole quarantine process failed and all the fish died. The op wanted to start over.
The only real bacteria that would be worth while saving would have been in the sponge filters which as long as they were put through the full 30 days copper. Is it worth it to save the sponge material, or just start over with new sponge and a bacteria source.

Using bleach on everything will kill off any trace of the velvet.

So unless I missed something, I stand by my recommendations.
Yeah my fish all unfortunately kicked the bucket not entirely sure why as they were fighting for several days and seemed fine but alas, anyways the tank now sits fishless and such I have bottled bacteria I can always dose with if needed again. If you all think it would be safer to bleach bomb it or hydrogen peroxide bomb it I certainly can and start over.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah my fish all unfortunately kicked the bucket not entirely sure why as they were fighting for several days and seemed fine but alas, anyways the tank now sits fishless and such I have bottled bacteria I can always dose with if needed again. If you all think it would be safer to bleach bomb it or hydrogen peroxide bomb it I certainly can and start over.
If it were me, I would sterilize everything with bleach and start over with a newly seeded sponge filters.
One thing I make sure I do is have an accurate copper test such as the Hanna Copper Checker. Get new fish in the quarantine tank eating and comfortable. Start with zero copper and ramp the copper up to therapeutic levels over a 4-5 day period. ( as long as there are no immediate signs of velvet, then maybe half the time)
Be ready with a variety of foods. Frozen mysis, brine, and ROE of other egg type food. Maybe even some live foods like Tigger pods to start.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would sterilize everything with bleach and start over with a newly seeded sponge filters.
One thing I make sure I do is have an accurate copper test such as the Hanna Copper Checker. Get new fish in the quarantine tank eating and comfortable. Start with zero copper and ramp the copper up to therapeutic levels over a 4-5 day period. ( as long as there are no immediate signs of velvet, then maybe half the time)
Be ready with a variety of foods. Frozen mysis, brine, and ROE of other egg type food. Maybe even some live foods like Tigger pods to start.
I do have the Hanna checker for copper that’s what I’ve been using to check copper levels of Cupramine. So I’ll try and do this perhaps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back