How to color up anthias?

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a school of Evansi Anthias which are amazing. I have had them for over a year. They are losing the bright purple color. Any suggestions for the best food to color them up? I mainly feed frozen mysis soaked in selcon or vitachem.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to see if they improved if you switched to frozen brine/spirulina food as opposed to mysis.

I feed my (dispar) anthias chopped live clams, frozen pods and spirulina brine and they color up very nicely.

OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to see if they improved if you switched to frozen brine/spirulina food as opposed to mysis.

I feed my (dispar) anthias chopped live clams, frozen pods and spirulina brine and they color up very nicely.
Thanks. I will give a shot and see

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for the best food to color them up?
Anything that meets their nutritional needs and contains carotenoids like Astaxanthin should help them color up (it's a bit hidden the quotes below, but Spirulina helps with coloration too):
With astaxanthin, yes (it wasn't a super formal study, but it wasn't bad). I mentioned it in my quote above, but here's a link to the study that works and isn't a download:
Yes, it has been demonstrated on a number of different fish both internally (like salmon) and externally (such as red tilapia* and other species listed in the block quote below), a few different inverts, and even flamingos.** It seems to primarily be a reddening agent (though it has been shown to have some other positive effects too), yes.

"Astaxanthin has been shown to promote growth and skin pigmentation in flame-red dwarf gourami Trichogaster lalius (Baron et al., 2008), blood parrotfish Cichlasoma synspilum × C. citrinellum (Li et al., 2018), green swordtail Xiphophorus helleri (Putra et al., 2020), discus fish Symphysodon (Song et al., 2017), rainbow kurumoifish Melanotaenia parva (Meilisza et al., 2018), and red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii (Cheng and Wu, 2019)."***

A similar effect has been noted for other colors with things like Spirulina (different carotenoids involved though).****

*Source:
**Source:
***Source:
****Sources:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back