How to compensate for a Yellow Tang

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawaii ban is a tough blow to the hobby. The poster child for the ban is the ubiquitous Yellow Tang.

I started my journey in this hobby in 2003 with a 29 gallon tank, isolated without Internet forums or knowing a single person who had a saltwater tank. My ”go to” reference was “Saltwater for Dummies.” I cycled the tank with Three Stripe Damsels and paid too much for live rock. My goal at the time was to keep a clownfish. My first Ocellaris clownfish died the first night and I blamed the aggressive damsels. I went back to the LFS to get another clownfish and all they had was Cinnamon Clownfish. I figured this bigger/tougher fish would do better with the damsels. I’m wondering now if the SG of the LFS was super low and that affected the acclimation. That Cinnamon Clownfish died last month after keeping it for 18 years, multiple crashes and power outages for days.

Six months into the hobby I went to the LFS looking to buy a 75 gallon tank. I negotiated a good price for a 90 gallon reef ready All Glass tank, stand and canopy. Once the tank cycled I bought an Ocellaris and my first tang, a Yellow Tang for $20. This fish stood out from 20 feet away. I could hang out on my back porch and look through the family room into the dining room, where the tank was, and this fish was what stood out and caught your eye.

I had my second Yellow Tang years later when I moved my tank into the basement. I purchased this Yellow Tang with a Powder Blue Tang and they got along well together. They both died a day after I moved and had an ammonia spike while I was at work. It was heart breaking.

A few months later I bought another PBT from a hobbyist breaking down his tank. I was moving on from Yellow Tangs. I had this fish for over 10 years. I’m not sure how long the previous owner had it, but it also died last month. All my other fish look healthy, but these two older fish passed unfortunately.

So after 18 years I was without a Tang. I bought a Tomini Tang from a large online retailer, but when it arrived it was ridiculously small. It lasted a month in my QT before it perished. I didn’t have much hope for such a juvenile fish.

I decided I would drive 40 minutes to a decent LFS to shell out more than I ever paid for a fish hoping to find a bigger Tomini Tang. Unfortunately my choices were a Yellow Belly Hippo for $140, or a Yellow Eye Bristletooth, not from Hawaii, for $100. They were both fat, if not having the most vibrant colors.

The Hawaii ban got me, like many other hobbyists, finding renewed interest in Yellow Tangs. It’s probably because we always want what we can’t have.

Next I visited a less reputable LFS to peruse his tanks. My eye was caught by a Scopas Tang. It was shy, hiding behind some rocks, but as it peeked out from the rocks, it basically looked like a Yellow Tang. It was Black, White, and when it caught the light just right it’s body shimmered Yellow. In the past I would have moved on from this fish, or even a Tomini Tang, because they just didn’t pop like a YT or a PBT.

With a Scopas you get the YT body shape, and honestly it is a beautiful fish. With YTs harder to obtain, I find myself looking in new directions. I have a hard time justifying paying over $100 for a fish, especially knowing the prices they fetched a few years ago.

So the Scopas gave me the semblance of a YT, but without the pop. Today I can appreciate a fish that blends in. I have a File Fish that you have to really look for and a female Watchman Goby that can elude the eye. Discovering them after initially alluding your senses can be exciting for people viewing the tank.

I still desired that Yellow fish that pops. I was in PetCo over a month ago and saw a medium sized Foxface. When I went back five weeks later it was still there looking fat and happy. The guy working the fish dept. said it was there for five months. With a $10 off coupon the fish was $50. It mixed in well with my other fish without any aggression and gave my tank that a Yellow Fish, even if it came from PetCo.

For 18 years I wasn’t really interested in the Foxface or a Scopas, but with the Hawaii ban I had to “Frankenstein” a Yellow Tang.

It turned out well. My “compensation” strategy brought me two great fish that I previously overlooked.

If you’re still here thanks for reading me ramble on about my experience.

One last question; How has the Hawaii ban affected you?

I found these two articles arguing for and against the ban if you are interested.

A Tale of the Yellow Tang

The Truth About Yellow Tang Collecting in Hawaii

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had much love for the yellow tang. When I first got into the hobby it was one of those staple fish that every tank had, so I had one many years ago, but it died in a tank move after just a few years. For a yellow fish I have always preferred foxfaces.
I have always absolutely loved purple tangs, but I was never willing to pay the price for one. Now that I've seen yellow tangs selling for hundreds of dollars it made me realize that maybe the $160 for a purple tang isn't too bad. So I guess in a weird way the Hawaii ban convinced me to buy a purple tang.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had much love for the yellow tang. When I first got into the hobby it was one of those staple fish that every tank had, so I had one many years ago, but it died in a tank move after just a few years. For a yellow fish I have always preferred foxfaces.
I have always absolutely loved purple tangs, but I was never willing to pay the price for one. Now that I've seen yellow tangs selling for hundreds of dollars it made me realize that maybe the $160 for a purple tang isn't too bad. So I guess in a weird way the Hawaii ban convinced me to buy a purple tang.

Yes, I think between higher shipping prices due to COVID-19, and the Hawaii ban, we have all been opening our wallets much more. Everyone has their own budgetary limitations, but I really feel bad for people new to the hobby. My journey in this hobby would have been much more limited today.

I also see more value in utility fish, and a Foxface is one of the hardest working fish you can have. Maybe because it is venomous people steer away from it, but I don’t think it is much to worry about. It seems more desirable now with the Yellow Tang ban.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reopening a slighly old thread here, they just sold out but Biota regularly has captive bred ones of high quality in stock now. Fish Prices across the board have definitely gone up substantially especially on everything but the most common fish and online. 150$ for a high quality yellow tang I guess is sticker shock from a couple of years ago but I don't think its actually that unresonable. Most people only have a big enough tank for 1 or 2 tangs if that.

The absolute cheapest tang I've seen is a Tomni tang in my favorite/cheapest LFS for ~50$. Also seen small hippo tangs there for 80$. Otherwise seems double that price easily most places

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawaii ban is a tough blow to the hobby. The poster child for the ban is the ubiquitous Yellow Tang.

I started my journey in this hobby in 2003 with a 29 gallon tank, isolated without Internet forums or knowing a single person who had a saltwater tank. My ”go to” reference was “Saltwater for Dummies.” I cycled the tank with Three Stripe Damsels and paid too much for live rock. My goal at the time was to keep a clownfish. My first Ocellaris clownfish died the first night and I blamed the aggressive damsels. I went back to the LFS to get another clownfish and all they had was Cinnamon Clownfish. I figured this bigger/tougher fish would do better with the damsels. I’m wondering now if the SG of the LFS was super low and that affected the acclimation. That Cinnamon Clownfish died last month after keeping it for 18 years, multiple crashes and power outages for days.

Six months into the hobby I went to the LFS looking to buy a 75 gallon tank. I negotiated a good price for a 90 gallon reef ready All Glass tank, stand and canopy. Once the tank cycled I bought an Ocellaris and my first tang, a Yellow Tang for $20. This fish stood out from 20 feet away. I could hang out on my back porch and look through the family room into the dining room, where the tank was, and this fish was what stood out and caught your eye.

I had my second Yellow Tang years later when I moved my tank into the basement. I purchased this Yellow Tang with a Powder Blue Tang and they got along well together. They both died a day after I moved and had an ammonia spike while I was at work. It was heart breaking.

A few months later I bought another PBT from a hobbyist breaking down his tank. I was moving on from Yellow Tangs. I had this fish for over 10 years. I’m not sure how long the previous owner had it, but it also died last month. All my other fish look healthy, but these two older fish passed unfortunately.

So after 18 years I was without a Tang. I bought a Tomini Tang from a large online retailer, but when it arrived it was ridiculously small. It lasted a month in my QT before it perished. I didn’t have much hope for such a juvenile fish.

I decided I would drive 40 minutes to a decent LFS to shell out more than I ever paid for a fish hoping to find a bigger Tomini Tang. Unfortunately my choices were a Yellow Belly Hippo for $140, or a Yellow Eye Bristletooth, not from Hawaii, for $100. They were both fat, if not having the most vibrant colors.

The Hawaii ban got me, like many other hobbyists, finding renewed interest in Yellow Tangs. It’s probably because we always want what we can’t have.

Next I visited a less reputable LFS to peruse his tanks. My eye was caught by a Scopas Tang. It was shy, hiding behind some rocks, but as it peeked out from the rocks, it basically looked like a Yellow Tang. It was Black, White, and when it caught the light just right it’s body shimmered Yellow. In the past I would have moved on from this fish, or even a Tomini Tang, because they just didn’t pop like a YT or a PBT.

With a Scopas you get the YT body shape, and honestly it is a beautiful fish. With YTs harder to obtain, I find myself looking in new directions. I have a hard time justifying paying over $100 for a fish, especially knowing the prices they fetched a few years ago.

So the Scopas gave me the semblance of a YT, but without the pop. Today I can appreciate a fish that blends in. I have a File Fish that you have to really look for and a female Watchman Goby that can elude the eye. Discovering them after initially alluding your senses can be exciting for people viewing the tank.

I still desired that Yellow fish that pops. I was in PetCo over a month ago and saw a medium sized Foxface. When I went back five weeks later it was still there looking fat and happy. The guy working the fish dept. said it was there for five months. With a $10 off coupon the fish was $50. It mixed in well with my other fish without any aggression and gave my tank that a Yellow Fish, even if it came from PetCo.

For 18 years I wasn’t really interested in the Foxface or a Scopas, but with the Hawaii ban I had to “Frankenstein” a Yellow Tang.

It turned out well. My “compensation” strategy brought me two great fish that I previously overlooked.

If you’re still here thanks for reading me ramble on about my experience.

One last question; How has the Hawaii ban affected you?

I found these two articles arguing for and against the ban if you are interested.

A Tale of the Yellow Tang

The Truth About Yellow Tang Collecting in Hawaii
I have a 4 inch hawaii yelow tang that is not liking my purple tang or my blonde naso so I am going to have to sell her... If you were close it could be yours....
Have to find the right home for her....

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reopening a slighly old thread here, they just sold out but Biota regularly has captive bred ones of high quality in stock now. Fish Prices across the board have definitely gone up substantially especially on everything but the most common fish and online. 150$ for a high quality yellow tang I guess is sticker shock from a couple of years ago but I don't think its actually that unresonable. Most people only have a big enough tank for 1 or 2 tangs if that.

The absolute cheapest tang I've seen is a Tomni tang in my favorite/cheapest LFS for ~50$. Also seen small hippo tangs there for 80$. Otherwise seems double that price easily most places
A higher price for an aquacultured fish is understandable. Hopefully they can get it down to something more generally acceptable through the economy of scale.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recently recommended the Foxface to me for a Tang substitute. I had never really thought about the foxface prior to that and now it's on my must-have list.

I didn't particularly care for either article. Neither one cited where they were getting their information from. How do we know they aren't pulling data out of their butts? Ether way Hawaii is closed and it's just the tip of the iceberg. I was out of the hobby for 15years before I got back in it this year and I'm amazed at all the captive-bred fish there are. It gives me hope that we'll be able to continue the hobby a little while longer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know what the appeal of a yellow tang is, other than having a bright yellow fish like a canary fluttering around the tank. At $80 I'd be interested, but $500 for a medium yellow tang - forget it. I'd rather get a school of anthias which are honestly far more colorful and entertaining.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I prefer for yellow over tangs are;
- Yellow tilefish,
- Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish,
- Canary wrasse,
- Foxfaces.
the only non-utilitarian fish in that list is the tilefish but that makes up for it in personality (I could watch my flashing tilefish 24/7 and never get bored). I prefer the CBB over the YLB because of how I don’t like the whole yellow body and they do the same job just one is more “reef safe”. I still don’t understand the appeal for a YT, even the CB ones look boring, if I could find on for sale in my LFS I would rather have a yellow tilefish over a plain yellow fish with a price tag of a gemmatum.
The foxfaces are filled with personality and don’t NEED 5’ of tank (Yes my magnificent foxface uses all of the 4’ tank it’s in but it mainly hovers in a spot for a few minutes then moves to another spot).I also find they stay closer to 7-8” and not that 10” size. I have owned mine for 2 years and it grew about an inch over both of those years, and now sits at 5”.
In terms of a tang, my favourite replacement is the fish that gets confused for a yellow tang by the untrained eye, the Yellow Scopas Tang. If I remember correctly, this fish is a hybrid between Indonesian YTs and the Indonesian Scopas Tangs.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there Indonesian YTs? I didn’t even know that.
Yeah, YTs can still be wild caught from Indonesia, that’s how there are still some (Albeit only a few) large YTs that pop up in LFSs.
Native Range: The yellow tang is found in the Northwest and Central Pacific ocean from southwest Japan to Marianna Islands, Marshall Islands, Marcus Island, Wake Island and Hawai’i. From Allen et al. (2003).

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting they’re found in Japan. The Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa which displays Marine life from the Ryukyus and other parts of southern Japan says on their site that Yellow Tangs are found from southern Shikoku (Kochi Prefecture) onwards. I sure hope that if I end up getting a CB one from Biota that it doesn’t get to 7-8” lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting they’re found in Japan. The Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa which displays Marine life from the Ryukyus and other parts of southern Japan says on their site that Yellow Tangs are found from southern Shikoku (Kochi Prefecture) onwards. I sure hope that if I end up getting a CB one from Biota that it doesn’t get to 7-8” lol.
Haha, I highly doubt it too! I’d probably say they get to 5-6”. It would take years for it to get to 7-8” but I would love to see some of these 12” yellows. I would maybe get one but at £255 for a CB one and £200 for an Indonesian one… I know which I would be getting at this point

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, haha. Actually I might reconsider getting one because I really want my angels (especially the pair of large angels) to thrive without any aggression, and I thought another medium-large fish like a Yellow Tang might hinder that lol. I can imagine it charging at the Angel pair.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would love if there were CB yellow scopas tangs, but I mean if I could do anything it would be to start a captive bred flashing tilefish… only issue is trying to get them to breed and get a male/female pair… forget the 3’ tank, that’s the easy bit haha.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilefish would be awesome if captive Bred. And Yellow Scopas too. :) I don’t know if I’m being overly cautious but the large angels I’m considering (Blue Line, Regals etc.) are on the less aggressive side so I might prefer having them as the only large fish. I’m afraid the Yellow Tang will always want to be boss and give the angels (and the dwarfs too) a hard time. Yellow Tangs and most non-Bristletooth Tangs have a much more active, roaming and fast paced swimming style while angels from what I’ve seen swim and stop or slow down to graze. They’re definitely more reef associated on average.

Some people would go as far as saying that if you want fish like angels you kind of have to make them the focus, especially the less bold species that don’t handle aggression well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilefish would be awesome if captive Bred. And Yellow Scopas too. :) I don’t know if I’m being overly cautious but the large angels I’m considering (Blue Line, Regals etc.) are on the less aggressive side so I might prefer having them as the only large fish. I’m afraid the Yellow Tang will always want to be boss and give the angels (and the dwarfs too) a hard time. Yellow Tangs and most non-Bristletooth Tangs have a much more active, roaming and fast paced swimming style while angels from what I’ve seen swim and stop or slow down to graze. They’re definitely more reef associated on average.

Some people would go as far as saying that if you want fish like angels you kind of have to make them the focus, especially the less bold species that don’t handle aggression well.
I’ve heard how people say if you want the less bold species (CBBs, Tilefish, Certain wrasse ect..) you need to make it a species only/specific tank. Obviously that’s been proven wrong but I still wouldn’t want to get an active tang (Non-Bristletooth) and then dump a peaceful fish in after it’s established.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. In that case, as tempting as it is now that CB Yellow Tangs are becoming available in this part of the world, I have to make the somewhat hard decision to forego getting one (even when prices go down) because…. I love angels more.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was on the same ideas of most of you about yellow tangs or not. So for the 300 we are building we got 5 anthias,. We are replacing the 140 with the 300, so we using the 140 as a kinda of a qt and introduction tank.We then got our hands on a purple tang, a blue hippo, blonde naso, tomini tang, powder blue to go along with a yellow tang we got 2 years ago from Hawaii. The dream was always to have 3 yellows, but we did not want to spend $500.00 each. A local place was asking for food donations to get huge discounts on fish. We donated a lot of food and we were able to score 2 additional yellow tangs for a huge savings....
We feel the people who will be getting our donations are the big winners and we won too. And the 3 yellow tangs are buddies....

Back