How to Connect 2 tank?

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Question
1. I have a DT tanks and Frag already running... but decided to connect the DT to Frag tank. how would I do it without drilling the Frag Tank...the Frag Tank is IM20 and the DT is 120. How do I get it connected?

2. How I would put my new ATO in the master closet. I wanted to put the larger ATO in my master closet, while my DT is in a separate room with a wall between the Master Closet and the DT. How would I get this done, and what ATO do you think I should get?

TIA

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 ways to connect two tanks, you either have one tank as a sump for the other, have a common sump for both tank, or else, you can have one sump pump to the upper tanks, drain to the lower tank then drain to the sump.
If you don't want to drill a tank, then you must have an overflow box, or else use it as a sump.
Auto top off easiest just use sump level as control on off. Either that or you must have a varible speed pump and fine tune it to the elaboration rate. Fine-tune variable speed pump is what I use Lab grade Cole-Palmer variable speed pump. I just use a auto fill small reservoir that is automatically fill with RO filter. I don't use water level as control becasue if somehow you have a leak and have water lost, this can kill your tank becasue the auto top off continue to pump fresh water into your tank. I add Saturated Kalk, so even a gallon or two of this stuff can crash my tank.

OP
OP
R

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 ways to connect two tanks, you either have one tank as a sump for the other, have a common sump for both tank, or else, you can have one sump pump to the upper tanks, drain to the lower tank then drain to the sump.
If you don't want to drill a tank, then you must have an overflow box, or else use it as a sump.
Auto top off easiest just use sump level as control on off. Either that or you must have a varible speed pump and fine tune it to the elaboration rate. Fine-tune variable speed pump is what I use Lab grade Cole-Palmer variable speed pump. I just use a auto fill small reservoir that is automatically fill with RO filter. I don't use water level as control becasue if somehow you have a leak and have water lost, this can kill your tank becasue the auto top off continue to pump fresh water into your tank. I add Saturated Kalk, so even a gallon or two of this stuff can crash my tank.
In the DT, I have sump. I don't want to do any drilling. I can use that sump as common for both the tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "In the DT, I have sump..."? The DT system you have a sump under it?. If this is the case you can use this sump for both system, in essence, you will just have1 system with two DT. You need to find away to drain the Frag system to the common sump, which mean either drill the Frag system for an overflow, or have an overflow box.
If you have an all in 1 tank for your DT, with the sump/refugium in the back then this will not work.

The control for the ATO is usually small and can go anywhere. You just need waterline to the water reservoir so the ATO, and need to have mechanism to turn the pump on to pump water from the reservoir to the sump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back