How to connect IceCap Battery Back to Hydros Wave Engine?

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the life of me I have not found any information on how to connect the IceCap battery backup to the Hudros WaveEgine. Can any one provide some insight?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the life of me I have not found any information on how to connect the IceCap battery backup to the Hudros WaveEgine. Can any one provide some insight?

I am so sorry this was never answered! I had to take a step back from social media for a couple of weeks to keep up with my marketing responsibilities (which sounds ironic), and it appears I missed this message and another from you in another thread which I will now answer.

There will be a special cable that you can purchase that will allow you to connect to a 12V battery backup, like the original IceCap model. You won't be able to use a simple Y-cable as it does not have the GX-12 connectors which are required by the WaveEngine to keep its IP65 rating. Unfortunately, the cable was not available when the WaveEngine was released.

We are also working on a HYDROS battery backup. :) I'll follow up with the HYDROS team to see how both of these are coming along. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so we can continue the conversation?

OP
OP
Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry this was never answered! I had to take a step back from social media for a couple of weeks to keep up with my marketing responsibilities (which sounds ironic), and it appears I missed this message and another from you in another thread which I will now answer.

There will be a special cable that you can purchase that will allow you to connect to a 12V battery backup, like the original IceCap model. You won't be able to use a simple Y-cable as it does not have the GX-12 connectors which are required by the WaveEngine to keep its IP65 rating. Unfortunately, the cable was not available when the WaveEngine was released.

We are also working on a HYDROS battery backup. :) I'll follow up with the HYDROS team to see how both of these are coming along. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so we can continue the conversation?

Thank you Jeff for getting back with me on this. Hopefully, the release of this cable is around the bend because my system right now is vulnerable using the WaveEngine.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jeff for getting back with me on this. Hopefully, the release of this cable is around the bend because my system right now is vulnerable using the WaveEngine.

I just posted in our Basecamp project to ask for an update. I will set a reminder for this evening and tomorrow to follow up with the HYDROS group (and with you) to get you the answers you seek!

wkd4b11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? Looking at purchasing a Wave Engine but I'm afraid it will render my IceCap backup battery useless. @Jeff@CoralVue

Last edited:

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the icecap 2.0 backup and will purchase the wave engine as soon as the adapter is available as I dont want to downgrade to a wave engine with no backup power.

Will the icecap 2.0 backup work?

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? Looking at purchasing a Wave Engine but I'm afraid it will render my IceCap backup battery useless. @Jeff@CoralVue
I also have the icecap 2.0 backup and will purchase the wave engine as soon as the adapter is available as I dont want to downgrade to a wave engine with no backup power.

Will the icecap 2.0 backup work?

Sadly, we have no updates to share at this time. The current sprint is all HYDROS controller stuff, so they'll be circling back to the WaveEngine soon. I wish I had better news! Believe me, I tell them that this is a hindrance to purchase for like a dozen people I've spoken to. The reality is we have a small team with an ambitious product roadmap. Multi-tasking lowers productivity, so they work in bursts on specific things to ensure things move forward as rapidly as possible.

OP
OP
Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, why does CoralVue think someone will invest in the Wave Controller when the Wave Engine was released half cocked missing a very critical support feature
? I'm thinking about selling my Wave Engine wireless version because my system is at risk. Anyone interested?

Sadly, we have no updates to share at this time. The current sprint is all HYDROS controller stuff, so they'll be circling back to the WaveEngine soon. I wish I had better news! Believe me, I tell them that this is a hindrance to purchase for like a dozen people I've spoken to. The reality is we have a small team with an ambitious product roadmap. Multi-tasking lowers productivity, so they work in bursts on specific things to ensure things move forward as rapidly as possible.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So theirs no way to hook up any battery backup?? Definitely a huge flaw. Also should stop advertising it on the product description if it's not actually an option.

OP
OP
Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So theirs no way to hook up any battery backup?? Definitely a huge flaw. Also should stop advertising it on the product description if it's not actually an option.

This is exactly what I said---big time false advertisement. False advertisement sometimes can lead to legal issues.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, why does CoralVue think someone will invest in the Wave Controller when the Wave Engine was released half cocked missing a very critical support feature
? I'm thinking about selling my Wave Engine wireless version because my system is at risk. Anyone interested?
This is exactly what I said---big time false advertisement. False advertisement sometimes can lead to legal issues.

I apologize for the confusion. I haven't communicated what's going on quickly enough or with enough transparency and you are reasonably upset. Please, allow me another chance to explain the situation more clearly.
  1. First, let me state unequivocally that every WaveEngine can be connected to a battery backup. You can connect one right now yourself.

2. Let me back up a little: The Y-Cables should be here already. They were assembled in Asia months ago. The Coronavirus delayed shipment when businesses were asked to close shop. We still believe this original shipment will reach us eventually, but we will quarantine the shipment for a couple of weeks (at least) after that.

3. So Joe's (understandably) upset post along with other opinions expressed here and elsewhere made us realize that we couldn't wait for that original shipment any longer when alternative solutions can be presented to you.

• Would you like us to source an aviation-style connector (required to maintain the WaveEngine's IP65 rating) and teach you how to modify it so you can connect a battery backup to your WaveEngine, sooner than later?

• Would you like to commission our trusted friend @TheHarold to create the cable for you?

4. We spoke to another company that promised they can deliver the cables much faster so we should have ones available for retail very soon thanks to the persistence of R2R members.
Thank you for pushing us to be better! We are sorry for the prior delays.

OP
OP
Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer the TheHarold guy do it. I don't want to burn my house down due to faulty DIY electrical work.

I apologize for the confusion. I haven't communicated what's going on quickly enough or with enough transparency and you are reasonably upset. Please, allow me another chance to explain the situation more clearly.
  1. First, let me state unequivocally that every WaveEngine can be connected to a battery backup. You can connect one right now yourself.

2. Let me back up a little: The Y-Cables should be here already. They were assembled in Asia months ago. The Coronavirus delayed shipment when businesses were asked to close shop. We still believe this original shipment will reach us eventually, but we will quarantine the shipment for a couple of weeks (at least) after that.

3. So Joe's (understandably) upset post along with other opinions expressed here and elsewhere made us realize that we couldn't wait for that original shipment any longer when alternative solutions can be presented to you.

• Would you like us to source an aviation-style connector (required to maintain the WaveEngine's IP65 rating) and teach you how to modify it so you can connect a battery backup to your WaveEngine, sooner than later?

• Would you like to commission our trusted friend @TheHarold to create the cable for you?

4. We spoke to another company that promised they can deliver the cables much faster so we should have ones available for retail very soon thanks to the persistence of R2R members.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much for the information!! Delays can definitely be expected during these crazy times. I was under the impression there were no options available. Thanks again for the clarification.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would either need to harass Dom for the connector pinout, or get myself one of those purty WaveEngines! Already working on a special PCB that will let the toggle box provide several voltages for the 0-10v port.

But in all seriousness, I couldn't do it as professionally as a real cable supplier could. They would probably have the "T" splitter where the battery connects overmolded in rubber, whereas I am limited to marine heat shrink- don't think it would maintain IP65 :(

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer the TheHarold guy do it. I don't want to burn my house down due to faulty DIY electrical work.

I spoke to Harry after our exchanges and he isn't equipped to take this on at the moment. D'oh!

Shall we move forward then with getting you a connector to DIY until we get ours? Our support staff may even be able to send a video to help you.

Thank you so much for the information!! Delays can definitely be expected during these crazy times. I was under the impression there were no options available. Thanks again for the clarification.

That is our bad for not communicating what was going on. On a personal note, I think it is cool that a little consumer advocacy got an alternative solution moving. I plan to use a WaveEngine. I want a battery backup.

I would either need to harass Dom for the connector pinout, or get myself one of those purty WaveEngines! Already working on a special PCB that will let the toggle box provide several voltages for the 0-10v port.

But in all seriousness, I couldn't do it as professionally as a real cable supplier could. They would probably have the "T" splitter where the battery connects overmolded in rubber, whereas I am limited to marine heat shrink- don't think it would maintain IP65 :(

Let's get you what you need to help us help others. Thanks for being a straight shooter.

QbD76D6-7m7NsQINcoga8K44Q4e7eHkM7_Otoud6Xtv7NS1r1_Qb0V8HgMIpuAw3Ytg3_aunsLPxQwD7QGp3

OP
OP
Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to Harry after our exchanges and he isn't equipped to take this on at the moment. D'oh!

Shall we move forward then with getting you a connector to DIY until we get ours? Our support staff may even be able to send a video to help you.

Yes, please..

That is our bad for not communicating what was going on. On a personal note, I think it is cool that a little consumer advocacy got an alternative solution moving. I plan to use a WaveEngine. I want a battery backup.

Let's get you what you need to help us help others. Thanks for being a straight shooter.

QbD76D6-7m7NsQINcoga8K44Q4e7eHkM7_Otoud6Xtv7NS1r1_Qb0V8HgMIpuAw3Ytg3_aunsLPxQwD7QGp3

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back