How to cure fish flakes in Canada

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for many years now, I just recently found out that the government banned all fish medicine In Canada. I find it absurd that I have to go to a vet to get fish medicine prescribed. I figured I could use TTM for ich & Velvet, but what the heck am I supposed to do about fish flukes and the others? Do I euthanize the fish? I really don't want to euthanize fish unless I have no choice for its own sake. I've euthanized a fish before and the thought bugs me until today. So I need a plan, I don't want to go into this unprepared.

Canadian Quarantine Plan:

Fish cost a fortune in Canada, so I believe it would be irrational to not quarantine recent additions. However, what do those of us that don't have the time to observe fish in quarantine or aren't observant enough do? Quit the hobby? Definitely not, so what then? The only thing I can think of is keeping the fish in the quarantine for longer (2 months) and use a UV sterilizer on the DT to prevent diseases from spreading if I missed something during the quarantine. However, that doesn't change the fact that we have no options to cure marine flukes other than the theoretical hybrid TTM. So suppose, I quarantine for a month all is fine and dandy. Then I gave the fish a freshwater dip to check for worms before putting it in the DT, I find some. What then? Do I have to euthanize the fish to end its suffering? Or would I go to the vet and get a thousand dollar prescription for flukes (assumption about the cost)? I'm definitely not going to do that, I can't afford it. So I'd have no choice but to euthanize the fish. So basically I'm going to have pray none of the fish I purchase have flukes, otherwise, I have no choice but to let them die.

So guys I have no clue what to do, I need suggestions.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't live in Canada but I guess that going to the vet is the best way to get prazipro or whatever they have to treat flukes. I don't know how much it will cost though. I remember someone saying that there was Prazipro on AmazonCA but it's not there anymore. However, I think green malachite can be used to cure flukes. AmazonCA does have Kordon Malachite Green, you can give that a try I guess.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't live in Canada but I guess that going to the vet is the best way to get prazipro or whatever they have to treat flukes. I don't know how much it will cost though. I remember someone saying that there was Prazipro on AmazonCA but it's not there anymore. However, I think green malachite can be used to cure flukes. AmazonCA does have Kordon Malachite Green, you can give that a try I guess.

Thanks for the reply, but It doesn't say it's a treatment for fluke on the description. Not sure if I missed something though.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, but It doesn't say it's a treatment for fluke on the description. Not sure if I missed something though.
The product isn't made to specifically treat flukes, it's supposed to control diseases but it happens to contain green malachite which can cure flukes. This in my opinion is probably the best thing you can get to cure flukes without going to the vet. Though I don't know the concentration of green malachite in it though. Though in one of the customer reviews on Amazon, one person managed to eradicate flukes with Kordon Malachite Green.

Here is an excerpt from Fishdoc.co.uk about Greenmalchite and formalin

"Malachite Green and Formalin are one of the main cornerstones of fish disease treatments having been used for many years against a range of parasites. They can be used together or separately as anti-parasite treatments against as Gyrodactylus (skin flukes). Dactylogyrus (gill flukes), lchthyobodo (Costia), Trichodina , Chilodonella and lchthyophthirius (white spot). "

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product isn't made to specifically treat flukes, it's supposed to control diseases but it happens to contain green malachite which can cure flukes. This in my opinion is probably the best thing you can get to cure flukes without going to the vet. Though I don't know the concentration of green malachite in it though. Though in one of the customer reviews on Amazon, one person managed to eradicate flukes with Kordon Malachite Green.

Here is an excerpt from Fishdoc.co.uk about Greenmalchite and formalin

"Malachite Green and Formalin are one of the main cornerstones of fish disease treatments having been used for many years against a range of parasites. They can be used together or separately as anti-parasite treatments against as Gyrodactylus (skin flukes). Dactylogyrus (gill flukes), lchthyobodo (Costia), Trichodina , Chilodonella and lchthyophthirius (white spot). "

Perfect!! So I can use it to treat both Ich and Flukes. Now I need to find something for velvet (I'd prefer avoiding TTM).

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!! So I can use it to treat both Ich and Flukes. Now I need to find something for velvet (I'd prefer avoiding TTM).
Green Malachite should be able to cure Velvet as it is similar to copper. They are both poisons and are suppose to act similar but the problem with green malachite there isn't a way to measure its level. According to the instruction tho, it said that you should use 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons to get 0.05ppm of malachite. To treat ich and its probably the same for (velvet) it should be raised to 0.10-0.15ppm. So about 2-3 teaspoons per 10 gallons. I'm going to assume here that the procedure is the same as copper treatment. Let the fish sit in there for about two weeks at the therapeutic level (0.10-0.15) and then pull them out and put them in a different tank for observation. Almost everyone uses copper now since it is less harsh and measurable but of course, your country has banned that now.

Whatever you do only use it on a QT tank because it can stain the silicone and make it blue/green.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for many years now, I just recently found out that the government banned all fish medicine In Canada. I find it absurd that I have to go to a vet to get fish medicine prescribed. I figured I could use TTM for ich & Velvet, but what the heck am I supposed to do about fish flukes and the others? Do I euthanize the fish? I really don't want to euthanize fish unless I have no choice for its own sake. I've euthanized a fish before and the thought bugs me until today. So I need a plan, I don't want to go into this unprepared.

Fish cost a fortune in Canada, so I believe it would be irrational to not quarantine recent additions. However, what do those of us that don't have the time to observe fish in quarantine or aren't observant enough do? Quit the hobby? Definitely not, so what then? The only thing I can think of is keeping the fish in the quarantine for longer (2 months) and use a UV sterilizer on the DT to prevent diseases from spreading if I missed something during the quarantine. However, that doesn't change the fact that we have no options to cure marine flukes other than the theoretical hybrid TTM. So suppose, I quarantine for a month all is fine and dandy. Then I gave the fish a freshwater dip to check for worms before putting it in the DT, I find some. What then? Do I have to euthanize the fish to end its suffering? Or would I go to the vet and get a thousand dollar prescription for flukes (assumption about the cost)? I'm definitely not going to do that, I can't afford it. So I'd have no choice but to euthanize the fish. So basically I'm going to have pray none of the fish I purchase have flukes, otherwise, I have no choice but to let them die.

Just go old skool - hyposalinity will control Cryptocaryon and Neobenedenia (ich and fluke respectively). I run my quarantine systems at a salinity of 16 ppt (around 1.013 SG) for 35 days, then bring the salinity back up over 5 days and then watch the fish for two weeks. TTM is too complicated and too easy to make mistakes with....

Jay

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go old skool - hyposalinity will control Cryptocaryon and Neobenedenia (ich and fluke respectively). I run my quarantine systems at a salinity of 16 ppt (around 1.013 SG) for 35 days, then bring the salinity back up over 5 days and then watch the fish for two weeks. TTM is too complicated and too easy to make mistakes with....

Jay

Yeah I was doing some reading on Hypo-salinity earlier today, that will probably be my best bet for the long term. Do you mind me asking what equipment you're running on the QT?

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Malachite should be able to cure Velvet as it is similar to copper. They are both poisons and are suppose to act similar but the problem with green malachite there isn't a way to measure its level. According to the instruction tho, it said that you should use 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons to get 0.05ppm of malachite. To treat ich and its probably the same for (velvet) it should be raised to 0.10-0.15ppm. So about 2-3 teaspoons per 10 gallons. I'm going to assume here that the procedure is the same as copper treatment. Let the fish sit in there for about two weeks at the therapeutic level (0.10-0.15) and then pull them out and put them in a different tank for observation. Almost everyone uses copper now since it is less harsh and measurable but of course, your country has banned that now.

Whatever you do only use it on a QT tank because it can stain the silicone and make it blue/green.

It seems like there's still a few copper treatments left on amazon. Do you think I should go with that instead? I'm most likely going to do Hypo-salinity, but I still need to figure out a treatment for velvet so I'm assuming this copper-based medicine might be a better choice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was doing some reading on Hypo-salinity earlier today, that will probably be my best bet for the long term. Do you mind me asking what equipment you're running on the QT?
For a QT, depending on the size, sponge filters are good for biofiltration. Don’t try to run a QT without a solid biofilter. If you go with hypo, this is especially important as the bacteria can take a hit when you lower the SG. I also think that some fish are stressed by bare glass tank bottoms, either paint them from underneath or use a fine layer of sand.
Jay

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like there's still a few copper treatments left on amazon. Do you think I should go with that instead? I'm most likely going to do Hypo-salinity, but I still need to figure out a treatment for velvet so I'm assuming this copper-based medicine might be a better choice.

Yeah, Copper would be the best choice; you might as well do copper cause that treats ich as well. I'm surprised there's still copper despite the ban. Don't forget to get a copper test kit for it, unless it comes with one already. Also for some reason, that copper is under "Health & Personal Care" lol.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that some fish are stressed by bare glass tank bottoms, either paint them from underneath or use a fine layer of sand.
Jay
I was planning on laying marinepure balls at the bottom of the tank. But wouldn't that basically have the same effect?

For a QT, depending on the size, sponge filters are good for biofiltration.

I was thinking of getting an aqueon HOB power filter (comes with sponge) instead of sponge filters.

Don’t try to run a QT without a solid biofilter. If you go with hypo, this is especially important as the bacteria can take a hit when you lower the SG.

Of course, I wouldn't dare. Considering the DT and QT are going up at the same time I'll just cycle the DT and throw the marinepure balls in the sump. At the end of the cycle I'll do a water, then dump that water into the QT. After I'll take the marinepure balls and sponges out from the DT, then throw it in the QT. Next, I'll feed both the DT and QT pellets to keep the cycle going. I'll continue this process for about a month, but while doing this I will slowly dilute the SG in the QT to approximately 1.009. After the month has passed, I'll get my first fish to throw in the QT. What do you think?

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Copper would be the best choice; you might as well do copper cause that treats ich as well. I'm surprised there's still copper despite the ban. Don't forget to get a copper test kit for it, unless it comes with one already. Also for some reason, that copper is under "Health & Personal Care" lol.
Yeah, that's so weird right, it'll probably be removed from amazon for good soon. So that's why I'm going to grab one bottle just in case I get marine velvet. Otherwise, I'm going to use hyper-salinty to treat for ich and fluke before any fish go into the tank. I already bought a copper test kit, so we should be good there.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So...after spending $$$ and first getting into this hobby, much like you I was in the same predicament as you. This is what I did.

1. Ebay -- got prazipro there
2. Seachem Metro -- Ebay
3. Get a girlfriend to fake a really bad yeast infextion and get a prescription for metronidazole. With quarenfine going on...doctors will give you what you want. Just tell her to tell them..."metro always clears it up"

Kinda gross...but it works :$

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's so weird right, it'll probably be removed from amazon for good soon. So that's why I'm going to grab one bottle just in case I get marine velvet. Otherwise, I'm going to use hyper-salinty to treat for ich and fluke before any fish go into the tank. I already bought a copper test kit, so we should be good there.

Also...when borders open up...just go across the border. Tell them its stuff for your aquarium if they ask. More than likely they won't. Can always pull the "oh i didnt know" phrase. There's always a way!!

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...after spending $$$ and first getting into this hobby, much like you I was in the same predicament as you. This is what I did.

1. Ebay -- got prazipro there
2. Seachem Metro -- Ebay
3. Get a girlfriend to fake a really bad yeast infextion and get a prescription for metronidazole. With quarenfine going on...doctors will give you what you want. Just tell her to tell them..."metro always clears it up"

Kinda gross...but it works :$
You're right they're being sold on eBay! Did you order them from a US seller? And LOL, I wish I had a girlfriend. **logs onto tinder**

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...when borders open up...just go across the border. Tell them its stuff for your aquarium if they ask. More than likely they won't. Can always pull the "oh i didnt know" phrase. There's always a way!!

lol, yeah I live on the border. The good old "I didn't know" always works. They would just confiscate it. But I'm looking for a longer term solution. Not a temporary Al-Capone one.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, yeah I live on the border. The good old "I didn't know" always works. They would just confiscate it. But I'm looking for a longer term solution. Not a temporary Al-Capone one.
I literally have a stock just in case. Yes I ordered from a US seller. Was here in a few weeks. But that was when COVID was at its peak. Now that stores are open more it shouldn't take that long. And also when I ordered Canada post was trying to catch up. Try it out. I was gonna do hyposalinity...and honestly its not as easy as it sounds. I have yet to treat my fish. I wanna make sure I am well educated in that department until I try it out. Keep me posted. Where you live? DM me. Maybe we can help each other out in times of desperation lol

Good luck!

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

First off, I wanted to thank you all for the help. All the information you guys provided me with has been very informative. Based on this information and some other threads dedicated to fish treatment I derived a quarantine/hospitalization procedure. However, I posted the procedure on my build thread instead of here. If any of you are interested, you can click on the build thread badge below my icon. Otherwise use the following link:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/innovative-marine-200-gallon-int-build.759106/#post-7969335

Best Wishes,

Mr. Fishy Fish

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back