How to cut large SPS in tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biglurr54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Took this one out in one piece this week using the PVC cutters..

IMG_6029.JPG
She is a beauty. Always struggle with what to do when they get that big. I got kinda lucky and managed to sell a couple last Christmas via my LFS. Another one I fragged out, but it was very unhappy about that.

What are you doing with that colony?
 
I use pvc cutters. If you can get the base between the blade and round part, it works great. Especially since they ratchet. Just clipped a table acro yesterday using them.
Amazing idea.
 
She is a beauty. Always struggle with what to do when they get that big. I got kinda lucky and managed to sell a couple last Christmas via my LFS. Another one I fragged out, but it was very unhappy about that.

What are you doing with that colony?
It was for a friend. Have a great weekend! JP
 
I need to cut a few colonies of SPS back. I need to cut through some very thick growth/base. All my rock is one piece so getting it out of the tank is not going to happen. How can I cut things that are too thick for my bone cutters while it remains in the tank? Can I use a hack saw blade? Will the hack saw blade release metal flakes into the water?
Have you considered using a cable saw like those found in survivalist’s kits? Wrap the cable around the base and carefully pull back and forth? It may be slow, but it should work.
 
Have you considered using a cable saw like those found in survivalist’s kits? Wrap the cable around the base and carefully pull back and forth? It may be slow, but it should work.
I like the resourcefulness of this community. Is that a diamond bit cable?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new