How to discourage hosting

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I purchased a pair of clowns for my Fluval 13.5, and also a very large hammer colony, with hopes they'd host it. They seemed to really like the hammer the very first day, and likewise, the hammer didn't seem to mind the hosting behavior either. Then the clowns suddenly lost interest in the hammer I bought for them. Then, the next few days, I noticed my small torch, which I've had for a few months, closing up a lot. I figured something was up, but it wasn't until today that I actually caught the clowns in the act of hosting the torch coral (it's been very difficult actually seeing the clowns doing their every day routine, as they always come to the glass when I enter the room). It's clearly irritating the torch. My hammer, however, seemed to not mind at all, and I'd love to discourage the clowns from the torch and back to the hammer. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the torch? I’ve rescaped my tank and my clowns moved from anems to hammers and flower pots in my little tank. I’m not saying that’s a solution but it’s something. They’re addicted to the flower pot now. Will not leave it alone and they go back and forth between a large hammer right next to it.

Attachments

• 671D180E-0941-4265-BC8F-1E3ED53894AB.jpeg
    671D180E-0941-4265-BC8F-1E3ED53894AB.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 33

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a goniopora? My clowns are OBSESSED with mine too, and went 5 years hosting nothing before I got it. They have even been placing their eggs next to it non-stop for months now. They had never spawned before.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a goniopora? My clowns are OBSESSED with mine too, and went 5 years hosting nothing before I got it. They have even been placing their eggs next to it non-stop for months now. They had never spawned before.
I was actually going to get a gigantic goniopora for my tank instead of the hammer but was told they are difficult. Is that true?

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually going to get a gigantic goniopora for my tank instead of the hammer but was told they are difficult. Is that true?
Apparently a lot of the wild strains didn’t last long when they got popular. Now a days with so many strains in aquaculture doing fine. I don’t see why you shouldn’t have success. I’ve had mine for a while now and it’s only looked better and I’m a super lazy reefer.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back when I started in the hobby, Goni's were impossible, so I only recently got one in the last year and it has been SO easy. Mine was a frag from a piece that had been in an aquarium for years, so it was well acclimated. Look for "tank raised".

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back