OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
I took out the river rock because it wouldn't allow me for it to be removable and put it into my DT. I switched it out with a bunch of pot scrubbies which have more surface area. I still have the sponge filter though. There is some Caulerpa Prolifera and chaeto in it. I have a bunch of tiny little white specs on the sides of the tank. So many pods They are literally everywhere. I feed them about 3-5 feeder minnows a day and they are consumed within a few hours.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a joke. You seem to be quite mature and have very good writing and communication skills that seem to be beyond a normal 12-year-old.

Oh. Thanks. If I talk about anything that relates to marine tanks to my friends they are all just *blank face* "What?"

Kinda off topic though but what is a good hair algae cleaner. I was thinking maybe lettuce nudi. Fish died can't find it. Been doing 25% PWC's to keep the nitrates from spiking but hair algae is growing. I have reduced the photo-period to 9 hours but still see hair algae growing. Nitrates have gone up from 0.9 to 12. The only CUC I have is a fire shrimp and two peppermint shrimp (not camel shrimp) and a few stomatella snails.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce nudibranch is a good way to go....I had the same issue, I dropped my light schedule down to 8, and replaced two bulbs since all of them were shot....really helped out.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you catch them to feed your tanks?
The pods are usually in the pot scrubbies during the day so I just take one out and toss it into my display for 10min or so and then I put it back in the breeding tank. Or I'll just take a net and catch what I can when they are swimming about

mm.reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Thanks. If I talk about anything that relates to marine tanks to my friends they are all just *blank face* "What?"
:) That also happened to me when I was +/- 12 years old. Everybody joke me of how I "switched" my vocabulary when I talked about aquariums and diving in the reefs (I live in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico).

Regarding amphipod breeding media, I prefer some small course reef rocks/gravel at the bottom and Chaetomorpha at the water column. Chaeto is all natural so nothing compares to it IMO, but it will take some time to grow. Add some daylight or red LED's to helps the Chaeto growth. Eventually you will need to remove all the other media mentioned to make space for the Chaeto.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) That also happened to me when I was +/- 12 years old. Everybody joke me of how I "switched" my vocabulary when I talked about aquariums and diving in the reefs (I live in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico).

Regarding amphipod breeding media, I prefer some small course reef rocks/gravel at the bottom and Chaetomorpha at the water column. Chaeto is all natural so nothing compares to it IMO, but it will take some time to grow. Add some daylight or red LED's to helps the Chaeto growth. Eventually you will need to remove all the other media mentioned to make space for the Chaeto.
The last place I bought chaeto had fireworms in it. Not bristleworms. And that store is the only place near me that sells chaeto. So yeah.

Elton20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed less, do more frequent WC. If you have sand or any substrate, it will give you nitrates, no doubt. Tons of pods on your DT simply mean there is a lot of "stuff" in there for them to eat. Years ago I had a cyano bloom and pods everywhere, my tank is now spotless and I don't see pods anymore. Feeding twice a day is too much. Every other or every 3 days is better for nutrient control. feed only mysis or carefully feed new life. You could add chaeto or nudibranchs but those are just bandaids, address the radical issue and then your tank will do much better overall. Besides, nudibranchs will die in the power heads and don't do well in tanks, unless you have algae all the time, which then means you still have nutrient problems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back