How To: DIY Amphipod Breeding Tank?

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I feed mine a mix of shrimp pellets, mysis, feeder fish, liquified algae wafers, blanched vegetables.
For the feeder fish I get FW feeder fish cause there's no SW feeder fish at any LFS.
Have you tried reef roids for the pods? I know my SPS love it, never tried it with the pods tho. You?

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tristan I've enjoyed following this thread if for no other reason than you remind me of me. I had my first saltwater tank when I was 15. I'm 53 now. No one kept coral back in those days just fish. Please keep us updated on your progress.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tristan I've enjoyed following this thread if for no other reason than you remind me of me. I had my first saltwater tank when I was 15. I'm 53 now. No one kept coral back in those days just fish. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks I will. But do you mean my reef, amphipod tank, or both?

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean in general. No one could keep coral back in those days. Nor was their much of a reason to keep amphipods. I learned as much as I could from the books magazines of the day to learn the genus and species of the fish. The latest equipment. Yes, my friends didn't understand much about what was involved in Saltwater reefkeeping. For that matter, they still don't if they aren't involved in the hobby.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean in general. No one could keep coral back in those days. Nor was their much of a reason to keep amphipods. I learned as much as I could from the books magazines of the day to learn the genus and species of the fish. The latest equipment. Yes, my friends didn't understand much about what was involved in Saltwater reefkeeping. For that matter, they still don't if they aren't involved in the hobby.

Ah got it. Well right now my population has slowed down breeding since it has gotten colder here in SoCal. Visually you can only see about 100. There are probably a couple thousand though.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate both Reef Roids and BRS Reef Chili. I also drop in a few small krills into my fuge and they seem to love them and multiply like crazy. I too grow them for my dragonets.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate both Reef Roids and BRS Reef Chili. I also drop in a few small krills into my fuge and they seem to love them and multiply like crazy. I too grow them for my dragonets.

When I feed them reef roofs mixed with esv spray dried phytoplankton they go crazy. They also consume feeder fish within a matter of hours.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: haven't fed reef roids lately cause it messes up the sponge filter. Just feeding feeder fish and shrimp pellets. Well over a few thousand now.

Have been adding them to 10g every few weeks now and now I can see them crawling during the day in the 10g.

Boom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Update: haven't fed reef roids lately cause it messes up the sponge filter. Just feeding feeder fish and shrimp pellets. Well over a few thousand now.

Have been adding them to 10g every few weeks now and now I can see them crawling during the day in the 10g.
Have you considered attaching the two tanks so your amphipod tank acts as a refugium?
One good reason to grow chaeto vs an inert medium is nutrient absorption. If you grow chaeto in the fuge it will effectively compete with hair algae for nutes AND give the pods shelter AND trap excess food from your display tank. IME pods can safely travel through pumps and pipes between the two.
Amphipods love hair algae, too. They really congregate on red lit algae scrubbers!

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Have you considered attaching the two tanks so your amphipod tank acts as a refugium?
One good reason to grow chaeto vs an inert medium is nutrient absorption. If you grow chaeto in the fuge it will effectively compete with hair algae for nutes AND give the pods shelter AND trap excess food from your display tank. IME pods can safely travel through pumps and pipes between the two.
Amphipods love hair algae, too. They really congregate on red lit algae scrubbers!

Would do that except the 10 gallon DT is in the living room while the amphipod breeding tank is in my room.

Ronnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, I think that ebay had a DIY breeder container. I think it was a gallon jug with 4-5 bathing sponges attach to a small pvc pipe with some airline tubing.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Update:

Just decided to take it down. Planning on culturing phyto, copepods, and rotifers instead.

Cycling a 25g now. I have a build thread that I haven't updated since I put in the Rock and sand. I will probably update it once it's done cycling. Planning on doing DIY canopy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back