How To: DIY Amphipod Breeding Tank?

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is something that is cheap, commonly available, and has a lot of surface area that can be used as an amphipod breeding ground?

Ex. Coarse sponge, rubble rock, corrugated plastic, pot scrubbies.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, why do you want to culture amphipods? I find these usually breed and thrive pretty well in tanks, it is copepods people usually culture.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squishie, To feed to both my FW and SW fish. I'm actually going to use river Rock as the breeding ground. And a sponge filter.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, why do you want to culture amphipods? I find these usually breed and thrive pretty well in tanks, it is copepods people usually culture.
squishie, To feed to both my FW and SW fish. I'm actually going to use river Rock as the breeding ground. And a sponge filter.
I was also thinking of using some really coarse filter sponge

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
squishie, To feed to both my FW and SW fish. I'm actually going to use river Rock as the breeding ground. And a sponge filter.
I was also thinking of using some really coarse filter sponge
Yeah they would like filter sponges, large media (like ceramic rings) and as mentioned earlier, a loofah haha.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they would like filter sponges, large media (like ceramic rings) and as mentioned earlier, a loofah haha.

This is my setup. It's in my bedroom so the stand it's on is my nightstand.
I ordered 1250+ pods from aquariumdepot. com

Reef2reef is now aquarium depot. They had a problem with their ecomerce thing or whatever.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my setup. It's in my bedroom so the stand it's on is my nightstand.
I ordered 1250+ pods from aquariumdepot. com

Reef2reef is now aquarium depot. They had a problem with their ecomerce thing or whatever.
Yeah reefs2go/aquariumdepot was really hit or miss. I hope it does well for you. I personally really like the pods from AlgaGen, which you can get through liveaquaria.com

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah reefs2go/aquariumdepot was really hit or miss. I hope it does well for you. I personally really like the pods from AlgaGen, which you can get through liveaquaria.com
I've ordered pods from reefs2go before and there was a lot more than I ordered. And plus the algagen only has 500 or so pods in it and you can barely see them. The one from reefs2go they are really fat and I can actually see the copepods.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered pods from reefs2go before and there was a lot more than I ordered. And plus the algagen only has 500 or so pods in it and you can barely see them. The one from reefs2go they are really fat and I can actually see the copepods.
Again, hit or miss. I found a possibly parasitic isopod and an unknown crab in algae I got from them. I also believe they gave me flatworms. But if you have success, that is all that matters =) Best of luck in culturing pods.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, hit or miss. I found a possibly parasitic isopod and an unknown crab in algae I got from them. I also believe they gave me flatworms. But if you have success, that is all that matters =) Best of luck in culturing pods.
Just wondering what should I feed the pods besides phytoplankton?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back