How To: DIY Amphipod Breeding Tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KVYA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KVYA

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2015
Messages
844
Reaction score
223
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is something that is cheap, commonly available, and has a lot of surface area that can be used as an amphipod breeding ground?

Ex. Coarse sponge, rubble rock, corrugated plastic, pot scrubbies.
 
Out of curiosity, why do you want to culture amphipods? I find these usually breed and thrive pretty well in tanks, it is copepods people usually culture.
 
Squishie, To feed to both my FW and SW fish. I'm actually going to use river Rock as the breeding ground. And a sponge filter.
 
Out of curiosity, why do you want to culture amphipods? I find these usually breed and thrive pretty well in tanks, it is copepods people usually culture.
squishie, To feed to both my FW and SW fish. I'm actually going to use river Rock as the breeding ground. And a sponge filter.
I was also thinking of using some really coarse filter sponge
 
squishie, To feed to both my FW and SW fish. I'm actually going to use river Rock as the breeding ground. And a sponge filter.
I was also thinking of using some really coarse filter sponge
Yeah they would like filter sponges, large media (like ceramic rings) and as mentioned earlier, a loofah haha.
 
Yeah they would like filter sponges, large media (like ceramic rings) and as mentioned earlier, a loofah haha.

This is my setup. It's in my bedroom so the stand it's on is my nightstand.
I ordered 1250+ pods from aquariumdepot. com

Reef2reef is now aquarium depot. They had a problem with their ecomerce thing or whatever.


image.jpg


image.jpg


image.jpg


image.jpg
 
This is my setup. It's in my bedroom so the stand it's on is my nightstand.
I ordered 1250+ pods from aquariumdepot. com

Reef2reef is now aquarium depot. They had a problem with their ecomerce thing or whatever.
Yeah reefs2go/aquariumdepot was really hit or miss. I hope it does well for you. I personally really like the pods from AlgaGen, which you can get through liveaquaria.com
 
Yeah reefs2go/aquariumdepot was really hit or miss. I hope it does well for you. I personally really like the pods from AlgaGen, which you can get through liveaquaria.com
I've ordered pods from reefs2go before and there was a lot more than I ordered. And plus the algagen only has 500 or so pods in it and you can barely see them. The one from reefs2go they are really fat and I can actually see the copepods.
 
I've ordered pods from reefs2go before and there was a lot more than I ordered. And plus the algagen only has 500 or so pods in it and you can barely see them. The one from reefs2go they are really fat and I can actually see the copepods.
Again, hit or miss. I found a possibly parasitic isopod and an unknown crab in algae I got from them. I also believe they gave me flatworms. But if you have success, that is all that matters =) Best of luck in culturing pods.
 
Again, hit or miss. I found a possibly parasitic isopod and an unknown crab in algae I got from them. I also believe they gave me flatworms. But if you have success, that is all that matters =) Best of luck in culturing pods.
Just wondering what should I feed the pods besides phytoplankton?
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new