How to ensure an eel isn't an ich carrier

Awolartist

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Massachusetts
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, long time lurker first time poster. I recently had a FOWLR tank have a terrible ich outbreak and lost several fish, a lunare wrasse and hippo tang survived and have been successfully treated in a quarantine tank. I have a snowflake eel from the same tank who is in a separate quarantine who hasn't been treated with anything. He doesn't have any signs or symptoms of ich but I know they can be carriers and reintroduce it to a tank. What can I do to ensue this doesn't happen when they go back to the DT?
Also ranges to clear ich in a fallow tank seem all over the map. It's been empty for about two weeks so far, at 84 degrees and about .20 salinity. Thoughts on when it will be clear and anything else I can do to aid in it?
 
Hi friends, long time lurker first time poster. I recently had a FOWLR tank have a terrible ich outbreak and lost several fish, a lunare wrasse and hippo tang survived and have been successfully treated in a quarantine tank. I have a snowflake eel from the same tank who is in a separate quarantine who hasn't been treated with anything. He doesn't have any signs or symptoms of ich but I know they can be carriers and reintroduce it to a tank. What can I do to ensue this doesn't happen when they go back to the DT?
Also ranges to clear ich in a fallow tank seem all over the map. It's been empty for about two weeks so far, at 84 degrees and about .20 salinity. Thoughts on when it will be clear and anything else I can do to aid in it?
Good news is they are generally resistant, not immune to ich. If the display tank has been fowler (fishless) at least 6 weeks, should be safe to go back in. Moving forward, prevention is your friend -quarantine all new arrivals
 
Good news is they are generally resistant, not immune to ich. If the display tank has been fowler (fishless) at least 6 weeks, should be safe to go back in. Moving forward, prevention is your friend -quarantine all new arrivals
Certainly learned that the hard way! You feel there's no chance of him reintroducing it back into the tank? I've heard varying things.
 
Certainly learned that the hard way! You feel there's no chance of him reintroducing it back into the tank? I've heard varying things.
Ive done similar as you with 4 morays, never had them being it back in the tank!
 
Hi friends, long time lurker first time poster. I recently had a FOWLR tank have a terrible ich outbreak and lost several fish, a lunare wrasse and hippo tang survived and have been successfully treated in a quarantine tank. I have a snowflake eel from the same tank who is in a separate quarantine who hasn't been treated with anything. He doesn't have any signs or symptoms of ich but I know they can be carriers and reintroduce it to a tank. What can I do to ensue this doesn't happen when they go back to the DT?
Also ranges to clear ich in a fallow tank seem all over the map. It's been empty for about two weeks so far, at 84 degrees and about .20 salinity. Thoughts on when it will be clear and anything else I can do to aid in it?

That's a tough question. Eels are resistant to marine ich, but not totally immune. They often go off feed when dosed with copper (not always fatal though). You could treat it with hyposalinity, just to be sure.

The normal fallow period for ich is 60 days. Your tank is warmer than normal, so it could be as short as 45 days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new