How to feed sea urchin?

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a tuxedo urchin in my tank for three weeks and it seems very happy. He’s been eating all the algae on the rocks and has now moved on to the back wall of the tank. How do I feed him when he eats all the algae?. I got some sea weed today and tried to place a small piece on him but he dropped it after a couple of seconds. He’s not very good at holding onto things.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a frag plug and some rubber bands, perhaps? The store I work at has some halloween urchins and pencil urchins in our invert tanks that we feed with seaweed almost daily. We rip a medium sized strip of seaweed, fold it up, and hold it against a frag plug as we rubber band it. It weighs itself down once we drop it, so hopefully your little tuxedo won't be as disadvantaged with his inability to hold things.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a tuxedo urchin in my tank for three weeks and it seems very happy. He’s been eating all the algae on the rocks and has now moved on to the back wall of the tank. How do I feed him when he eats all the algae?. I got some sea weed today and tried to place a small piece on him but he dropped it after a couple of seconds. He’s not very good at holding onto things.
Just grow some algae in your tank, they love coraline as well. I don't clean the glass on the back, but my 3 urchins never move off the rock.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I rubber band nori to a rock and place urchin on it or put on a clip next to it on glass.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a frag plug and some rubber bands, perhaps? The store I work at has some halloween urchins and pencil urchins in our invert tanks that we feed with seaweed almost daily. We rip a medium sized strip of seaweed, fold it up, and hold it against a frag plug as we rubber band it. It weighs itself down once we drop it, so hopefully your little tuxedo won't be as disadvantaged with his inability to hold things.
Not sure how I ended up with a little urchin that can’t hold things lol

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grow some algae in your tank, they love coraline as well. I don't clean the glass on the back, but my 3 urchins never move off the rock.
I’m just getting over the ugly stage in my tank but want to introduce some coraline

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I ended up with a little urchin that can’t hold things lol
He's just a little uncoordinated lol. Can't say I've seen our pencil urchins hold much of anything, if it makes your tuxedo feel any better, but I always have to peel the plugs off of the halloween urchins. Sometimes I'll even find that they spat out the rubber bands in the process.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's just a little uncoordinated lol. Can't say I've seen our pencil urchins hold much of anything, if it makes your tuxedo feel any better, but I always have to peel the plugs off of the halloween urchins. Sometimes I'll even find that they spat out the rubber bands in the process.
I even bought him some hats to entertain me and he only holds them for a minute or two haha

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three and each has a specialty when it comes to picking up materials. One prefers Xenia and I've got to chase it down regularly before it does a Jonny Appleseed on me and spreads it around the tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have three and each has a specialty when it comes to picking up materials. One prefers Xenia and I've got to chase it down regularly before it does a Jonny Appleseed on me and spreads it around the tank.
Oh no, I hadn't considered that they'll do that. I have a baby tuxedo urchin that's going to go into a tank with a xenia rock. Does it manage to get pieces loose, without any small frags available to easily pick up?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do and I think just by brushing up against Xenia. Thankfully it is a rare occurrence, but does happen.

Amazing to me what all they collect and some good pics on R2R.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back