How to fix a leaking tank

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I have a 55g tank and it’s leaking. There is a small crack on one side (not leaking) and it leaks at the bottom base. Water is coming out the bottom near the black part of the base near the corner (tank was purchased at petco last year) what is the best way to fix this? Where do I get that product? Is that crack a problem and if so what should I use to fix these issues. If the tank cannot be used please let me know

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have anything in that tank I would get a spare tank and start tear down. Put fish and coral in the spare tank, or if you have another reefer buddy ask him to hold your fish and coral for you until you get another tank. For your rock get a brute trash can, put the rock in that and fill the rest up with your tank water. I wouldn't that tank especially if water is coming up from the bottom where the trim is. If you don't have enough funds to get a new tank right away, throw a powerhead and heater in with the rock so it doesn't become smelly and water cold.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to replace the tank. Leaks are bad. Cracks never end well. It's only a 55g so it is readily available at pretty much any pet store. Until it has been replaced, all livestock needs to be placed in a safe container. Something as simple as a rubbermaid tote or trashcan will work just fine. Then, figure out why the tank cracked. Most likely answer is that it was not on the stand correctly. Take care of the cause and then set the new tank in place.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A crack in glass, even if it's not leaking, is a major structural issue. That panel will fail. Maybe not today, maybe not next week, but it's only a matter of time when the wrong bump or vibration causes it to blow out. That tank would make a good terrarium, but it's life as an aquarium is done.

If you really want to fix it, you need to empty and clean the tank, remove the bottom frame (risking further damage), and remove/replace the panel with a new piece of glass. You need silicone and a pre-cut piece of glass of the correct thickness. It's not that hard to do, but for a 55 probably not worth it. At retail prices, you'll probably pay 1/4 the price of a new tank just for a one-off piece of glass at a glass shop.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a new tank, even if it is fixable and that is a big if, the cost will likely be almost as much as new tank. Plus you will need a place to store your contents while you fix it. Don't wait, get a tank today.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since that tank is from Petco it's probably an Aqueon, they have a 5 year warranty. Definitely don't try to fix it, that tank is trash, but you might be able to get a new one for free

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Check with Petco and the warranty.
It has to be replaced, and I wouldn't wait too long.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep calm.

You've been given some good advice here. Glass tanks are easily repaired. You just need to have patience. I'm guessing it is an Aqueon tank?

The first thing I would ask you to do is post pictures of the tank, the damage and the leak. And yes, I would look into moving everything to another tank before any repairs can begin on the one you have,

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Glass tanks with leaks on the seams can only permanently be repaired if you completely disassemble all the panels and re-silicone them back together all at once.
New silicone does not permanently bond to old silicone.
Plus if there is a cracked piece of glass in a 55 gallon tank the time, money and effort makes a strong case for buying a new tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back