How to frag zoas / plays on display tank rock

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ever growing colony of either purple monster or pink diamond zoas- they started from 3 heads and a few months later are spreading like wildfire. They've overtaken the other zoas I put in my "garden" (now just a purple-pink colony at this point) and their growth shows no signs of stopping.

Ideally since people seem to like these, I was hoping to frag them, but they're at the deepest part of my scape and attached to man-made rock. It's glued together and resting beneath a big part of the scape so removing it is out of the question. I've not gotten great success trying to cut beneath the polyps the one time I tried, and in the meantime they just keep growing. I read that cutting into the rock beneath them can be successful, but I had no luck with my flimsy razor blade. Any ideas of how to get some off intact?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue a frag plug in front of where there growing and let them grow over it and then pull it. Buy a better razor like the one listed below. Wear gloves and eye protection wash hands thoroughly after and open a window would be my advise.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue a frag plug in front of where there growing and let them grow over it and then pull it. Buy a better razor like the one listed below. Wear gloves and eye protection wash hands thoroughly after and open a window would be my advise.

Is the only way to get them off where they already are to dig into the rock? This stuff is dense

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use bone cutters to to cut a chunk of rock rumble off underneath them. You can also try before lights turn on when they are closed so you can cut easier. Most of the time otherwise you need to be very steady and take your time you can scrape them off.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you successfully get them off from the bottom up, do you glue them directly on the plug?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah you can dap a little glue on frag plug and place them gently on it. The good thing is there growing fast and damaging a few wont be end of the world. I also run carbon and would do a small water change after the day or 2 process.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.1%
Back