How to gauge waterflow?

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says how do I gauge waterflow in different parts of the tank? I read different post and articles that say place corals in low, med, and strong flow. Sometimes I don't know where to place the corals because I don't know where in my tank would be low, med, and strong flow.....sorry still trying to learn.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow is like a slight breeze that comes and goes. Not strong enough to blow a napkin off a table.
Med is a bit stronger maybe the napkin blows off the table but maybe not.
High flow is where you can see fish fight the current and will blow the napkins and cups off the table.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow is like a slight breeze that comes and goes. Not strong enough to blow a napkin off a table.
Med is a bit stronger maybe the napkin blows off the table but maybe not.
High flow is where you can see fish fight the current and will blow the napkins and cups off the table.
Those are some nice references...thank you but how do I tell in the tank?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some nice references...thank you but how do I tell in tank
tv land GIF by YoungerTV

Lol

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its sort of difficult to describe it almost comes with a bit of experience.
Light flow: on the bottom, in the corners, not in the powerheads current
Medium flow: in the middle of your rock work, on top, in direct flow but far away from powerhead.
High Flow. Within about 16 inches of the power head. Possibly further away or in between multiple powerheads

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its sort of difficult to describe it almost comes with a bit of experience.
Light flow: on the bottom, in the corners, not in the powerheads current
Medium flow: in the middle of your rock work, on top, in direct flow but far away from powerhead.
High Flow. Within about 16 inches of the power head. Possibly further away or in between multiple powerheads
Okay that really helps....for the High Flow you say within about 16 inches of the power head but my tank is only 21 inches front to back and some of that is taken up with AIO part of the tank and I have a nero 3 on that false wall of the AIO part so anything in front of the powerhead (I'm guessing from back wall to front glass) will be High Flow?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that really helps....for the High Flow you say within about 16 inches of the power head but my tank is only 21 inches front to back and some of that is taken up with AIO part of the tank and I have a nero 3 on that false wall of the AIO part so anything in front of the powerhead (I'm guessing from back wall to front glass) will be High Flow?
Yes, Most likely depending on how high your nero 3 is turned up. Its usually better to start a coral off in lower than recommended flow and move it into higher flow, its easy to give softies and lps to much flow. Sps like alot on the other hand.

And sixteen inches is just kind of a random number. Could be three feet if you have a big enough powerhead.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Most likely depending on how high your nero 3 is turned up. Its usually better to start a coral off in lower than recommended flow and move it into higher flow, its easy to give softies and lps to much flow. Sps like alot on the other hand.
I actually turned down the Nero from 55% to 20-25% I mainly have zoas and lps...

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think me having it 55% was too much? Do I count the return pump flow if Im aiming for something like 30x turnover?
Let the coral be the judge. If things are closed up its likely to much flow(or light). If things are buldging open maybe turn it up just a bit like 5-10%. I often upgrade the return pumps in my aio's and don't even need a powerhead. But there always nice especially if you randomize/pulse the flow. And the return pump does count for turnover 30x is perfectly exceptable. And if you get a bit of simple sps put it in direct flow.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the coral be the judge. If things are closed up its likely to much flow(or light). If things are buldging open maybe turn it up just a bit like 5-10%. I often upgrade the return pumps in my aio's and don't even need a powerhead. But there always nice especially if you randomize/pulse the flow. And the return pump does count for turnover 30x is perfectly exceptable. And if you get a bit of simple sps put it in direct flow.
Yeah I actually did upgrade my return pump to a Jebao DCS 2000 which pumps 525 gph and added a Auqa Gadget Spin Stream Nozzle to randomize the flow a bit but not sure if it reduces the flow some....really good information by the way exactly was I was looking for

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I actually did upgrade my return pump to a Jebao DCS 2000 which pumps 525 gph and added a Auqa Gadget Spin Stream Nozzle to randomize the flow a bit but not sure if it reduces the flow some....really good information by the way exactly was I was looking for
Love the spin stream nozzles!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how we are going to gauge flow in our new Random Flow Generator Nozzle powered office build.

This was just a test, but the plan is to suspend a number of these streamers throughout the tank to see the flow strength, and patterns.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back