How to get copepods in tank?

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So, new reef tank. I'm wanting to get a microcrustacean population established. Trouble is that I'm in New Zealand, where I can't buy copepods.
I thought I could get some through corals - but they never have any I can see in the bags, and on top of that I doubt any would survive coral dipping. How can I get them in the tank?
Should I not dip the corals and or reach out and ask someone for some live rock or a sample of copepodes/amphipods ect

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So, new reef tank. I'm wanting to get a micro crustean population established. Trouble is that I'm in New Zealand, where I can't buy copepods.
I thought I could get some through corals - but they never have any I can see in the bags, and on top of that I doubt any would survive coral dipping. How can I get them in the tank?
Not dip corals, or reach out and ask someone
It's next to impossible to keep copepods out of a system. Chances are you already have them. After the lights go out wait a while and shine a flashlight on the glass. See if you notice any little white specs.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepod egg clusters can survive dipping but you should 100% continue dipping corals ! You can always add bio diversity if need be

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding live rock has historically been the way to do it if purchasing pods isn't an option.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So, new reef tank. I'm wanting to get a microcrustacean population established. Trouble is that I'm in New Zealand, where I can't buy copepods.
Should I not dip the corals and or reach out and ask someone for some live rock or a sample of copepodes/amphipods ect
When establishing my tank, I had someone donate some chaeto for my refugium, and it was off to the races.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They hitchhike on corals/live rock. If you have either chances are your already have some and many are typically too small to see so that would be why.
Amphipods are the bigger more visible ones.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a cap full of phytoplankton to you tank every day will help the population grow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back