How to get coralline algae in brand new tank

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my 75g up and running for two months with dry rock and I'm curious about how someone would go about 'introducing' coralline algae into their tank. I've heard it can be introduced from shells of invertebrates but that seems inefficient. I know there are products that can "boost" coralline algae growth but how do I get it in my tank in the first place?

Thanks!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grab anything that has some on it to introduce it to the tank. Find a type you like, buy a rock that has some, and sit back and wait for it to grow.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get coralline scraps from someone’s else’s tank you can make a smoothie and pour it into your tank. YouTube

That's a really good idea! I'll have to see if anyone in my local fish group would be willing to scrape some off for me...

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my wife hand pick all the snails and crabs for our initial CUC. Of course, she picked out anything with a pink or purple shell. Needless to say the coralline spread quickly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back