How to go about keeping pods and phyto with uv.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank I just set up is going to have a lot of pod predators so im kinda in the same boat. I have played with the idea of culturing phyto and pods/rotifers, but ive just spent the last 6 or so years breeding tanganyikan cichlids and turkana jewels. Im tired of culturing white worms, bbs, and green water and such. When I sell this last batch of fish I am done breeding. But I have usable set up for the purpose of culturing pods and phyto, but I think ill buy for a while. Check out @Reef By Steele for pods and phyto.
Alright.
I'm trying to get my tank back and kicking again. I plan to get some cooler fish.. some being more finicky. Last time I had pods I remember my fish constantly pecking at rocks grabbing them up.
I think it will also keep aggression down too. Since there's more available food.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I run my UV pump right ahead of my refugium and the output right before my return pump. I don’t know if this made a difference or not, I stocked a 75 gal tank with pods once or twice, then didn’t again. When our clowns started spawning, I decided to try to raise them. I started culturing rotifers, and that is actually what got us started as a hobby selling a little in here to help pay for the salt and equipment. Lol turned into a full time business. That to say, that the 75 gl I referred to has pods established in it with a UV running definitely slow enough to kill everything as I run it for parasite control mostly. I discovered them when I was up late at night capturing babies.

This to say, that if you stock properly and the right pods you can have them colonize a tank with UV. They will colonize in your DT and your fuge. As for phytoplankton, yes obviously going through the UV should kill live phyto. I shut down my return pumps for 45 minutes each night when I feed. I dose my phyto then to allow it you work through the DT without contact with the fuge, skimmer or UV. I’m sure I lose some, but I’m sure a lot gets consumed as well.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hey, thanks for the shout out. Love gettin’ love from our customers.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the 2 "containers should I add on the ocean Magik?
Also is a capfull 5ml?
I don't wanna overdose lol.
It got in early and I'm leaving tmr.

17061411536517721416230148859983.jpg 17061412045641566024702142656485.jpg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We recommend 2 ml per gallon actual tank volume. Don’t know the size of the cap but a teaspoon is roughly 5 ml. Theoretically you cannot overdose phytoplankton unless you actually turn your water green.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the 2 "containers should I add on the ocean Magik?
Also is a capfull 5ml?
I don't wanna overdose lol.
It got in early and I'm leaving tmr.p

Huh? The chamber on the right is for measuring and clearly marked 5,15,30ml. Take off the cap on the side of the bottle you want the phyto to go to and lightly squeeze the bottle. Is that what you are asking?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? The chamber on the right is for measuring and clearly marked 5,15,30ml. Take off the cap on the side of the bottle you want the phyto to go to and lightly squeeze the bottle. Is that what you are asking?
I was confused on this also I had to look at the bottle pics 3-4times reading every word thinking the 2 pics might be a little different. I think you are correct.
@randomfishdude The smaller "container" is for dosing and its graduated so you know how much you are dosing. Just fill to the 5ml line and dump it in the tank at a point of flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back