How to go about keeping pods and phyto with uv.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shure there is a bazillion threads on this somewhere where I'm not finding them. I'm only finding very fre on pepole considering puting in a uv but not wanting to kill pods or wondering why there's no pods with uv.

But I want to re-start my pods in my tank. Now that it is more established and I know a bit more of what I'm doing. Not like last time where I was given a jar of pods as a gift and I put them in my young tank.

Today I just started a "refugium". Along with finally installing a uv to my new tank. I had one in the old tank but a uv for a aio dosnt work well on a sump. I was wondering how I could get some pods going along with dosing some phyto to get them going and help coral out a bit.

I did read that depending on species and size of the pods and the flow rate they might not die.

Currently how I have the uv set up (as seen in images) there's a valve in the middle where I can control how much flow bypasses the uv.

Any input is helpfull.

It's a 90 gal display with ether a 30 or 40 gal sump.
I know it looks like a mess from the images but it is quite functional. It's hard to fit a skimmer, uv , refugium, autotopoff and all the other stuff in a tiny little space.

20240115_215932.jpg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shure there is a bazillion threads on this somewhere where I'm not finding them. I'm only finding very fre on pepole considering puting in a uv but not wanting to kill pods or wondering why there's no pods with uv.

But I want to re-start my pods in my tank. Now that it is more established and I know a bit more of what I'm doing. Not like last time where I was given a jar of pods as a gift and I put them in my young tank.

Today I just started a "refugium". Along with finally installing a uv to my new tank. I had one in the old tank but a uv for a aio dosnt work well on a sump. I was wondering how I could get some pods going along with dosing some phyto to get them going and help coral out a bit.

I did read that depending on species and size of the pods and the flow rate they might not die.

Currently how I have the uv set up (as seen in images) there's a valve in the middle where I can control how much flow bypasses the uv.

Any input is helpfull.

It's a 90 gal display with ether a 30 or 40 gal sump.
I know it looks like a mess from the images but it is quite functional. It's hard to fit a skimmer, uv , refugium, autotopoff and all the other stuff in a tiny little space.

20240115_215932.jpg
When I want add Phyto to my tank, I just unplug my UV and skimmer for a couple hours.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I'm more scared about the pods dieing off super fast.
I add pod monthly to my tank, and when I do, I shut off everything for about an hour. I use a piece of PVC to put them in the tank so they go straight to the bottom and rocks. Then I dose with phyto about once a week. Seems to work well so far.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv typically wont effect pods they are a higher lifeform and unless trying to actually live in the uv should not be effected by the little amount they'd receive. Phyto on the other hand would be effected. Shut off uv when you dose phyto for a couple hours, also shut off your skimmer.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv typically wont effect pods they are a higher lifeform and unless trying to actually live in the uv should not be effected by the little amount they'd receive. Phyto on the other hand would be effected. Shut off uv when you dose phyto for a couple hours, also shut off your skimmer.
Exactly what said.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above pods should be fine. Personally I have never seen the point of adding pods more than once especially if you phyto dose. Even with aggressive hunters if you have lots of rock and sump you will have an annoying amount of pods in an established tank.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could still grow pods in my refugium and they would make it to the tank.

I really want them to reproduce and have a stable pop in the tank. I can't afford to dose them ever month lol.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really want them to reproduce and have a stable pop in the tank. I can't afford to dose them ever month lol.
as long as no predators in the fuge and ample food youll be fine. Just dont skim out the phyto or destroy it with uv after you dose it. Pods will eat other stuff to so if you have algae and or leftover fish food youll be ok.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should work. Yeah they are expensive, but the tank is all I have. I do not have either a sump or a refugium, and I have several different tank inhabitants that eats them. So my only real option is to keep a steady flow coming in. And at Algae Barn if you set up autoship, you get a pretty good discount.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work. Yeah they are expensive, but the tank is all I have. I do not have either a sump or a refugium, and I have several different tank inhabitants that eats them. So my only real option is to keep a steady flow coming in. And at Algae Barn if you set up autoship, you get a pretty good discount.
I dont know your tank or where its at but hob fuges work well and overhead do too.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
I also could culture some phyto.
My tank I just set up is going to have a lot of pod predators so im kinda in the same boat. I have played with the idea of culturing phyto and pods/rotifers, but ive just spent the last 6 or so years breeding tanganyikan cichlids and turkana jewels. Im tired of culturing white worms, bbs, and green water and such. When I sell this last batch of fish I am done breeding. But I have usable set up for the purpose of culturing pods and phyto, but I think ill buy for a while. Check out @Reef By Steele for pods and phyto.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back