How to heat a micro tank?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y'all heating tanks under 1 gallon? Ifld really rather not use a temp controller. I'm not super worried about a heater breaking in the off position but I feel like a 5 watt heater might fry a 0.5-1 gal tank at 74-76 ambient if the tank broke in the on position.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5w should be fine, they still have internal temp control so itll shut off when it gets too hot. If you want to be extra safe you can use an ink bird on top of it for more precise control

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inkbird controller is the safest option. IMO, every aquarium heater should be plugged into an Inkbird- it's cheap, easy to set up, and pretty much guarantees your fish won't die an awful death to the heater failing on. Every heater can fail, but it's way less likely that your heater will fail on /and/ your Inkbird will fail in a way that allows it to go unchecked. As long as you make sure the temperature probe stays in the tank.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird controller is the safest option. IMO, every aquarium heater should be plugged into an Inkbird- it's cheap, easy to set up, and pretty much guarantees your fish won't die an awful death to the heater failing on. Every heater can fail, but it's way less likely that your heater will fail on /and/ your Inkbird will fail in a way that allows it to go unchecked. As long as you make sure the temperature probe stays in the tank.
Tank will be at work. I can't afford to have that alarm go off while I'm not there.

My Fluval V build does feature an Ink bird tho.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inkbirds don't have an alarm. If the tank gets too hot, the Inkbird cuts the power to the heater until it cools down. Problem solved. They also have a temperature readout on a length of wire, which is easy to put in a convenient place and check.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbirds don't have an alarm. If the tank gets too hot, the Inkbird cuts the power to the heater until it cools down. Problem solved. They also have a temperature readout on a length of wire, which is easy to put in a convenient place and check.
My ink bird has an alarm and it's loud as hell. I run one on my Fluval V and have tested it out both intentionally and accidentally.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really? Mine just shuts it off. Maybe we have different kinds.

Either way, it shuts the heater off without any input from you, no need to be available.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y'all heating tanks under 1 gallon? Ifld really rather not use a temp controller. I'm not super worried about a heater breaking in the off position but I feel like a 5 watt heater might fry a 0.5-1 gal tank at 74-76 ambient if the tank broke in the on position.
your led and your pump should make enough light imo. seriouslyfish has an article on heating, it isnt really necessary as logn as your tank is more than 72 ish. supposedly cold water encourages phyto development also.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a common 50 watt submersible heater positioned sideways in a half gallon sps reef for 3 years it worked great. it didnt overheat anything

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ink bird has an alarm and it's loud as hell. I run one on my Fluval V and have tested it out both intentionally and accidentally.
mine has one as well ssuuuuupppperrr loud

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a common 50 watt submersible heater positioned sideways in a half gallon sps reef for 3 years it worked great. it didnt overheat anything
brandon has tons of experience with picos (super cool as well check them out) he'll steer you in right directions

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back