How to increase return flow?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's pics. This tank has an internal overflow. I have a eshopps L on a 75 which isn't hooked up just running on air driven filters currently been breeding Turkana jewels for the last 2.5 years in that tank so overflow would be a problem.
20240110_190620.jpg
20240110_190634.jpg

Even though this isn't your set up you can do it the same way. That's how I ran the L when it was a faster flowing congo river tank. But reading the other posts that have been added on my trip home I'm starting to think you may have something else going on. Maybe sump is to small to handle the tank volume. Kinda sounds like if you were able to increase water level in your sump problem would be solved? The overflow handles the flow when you turn pump up?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He needs a new pump, or he has to change the overflow.

There is no other solution if you cant fix one and fix it all together.
The system is mismatched.

Changing the system as is, can lead to it flooding later on.
You need to give yourself some leg room incase something happens.

So i think you should downsize your pump, as it looks way too big to begin with for your system.
Nope. Pump is adjustable not the issue.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP....
The only way you will get more water thru the overflow box into your sump is to Buy new overflow with bigger outflow, or live with 800GPH. The plumbing change from soft to hard will only increase it by a little (if any). This way, you can also increase the pump output

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He needs a new pump, or he has to change the overflow.

There is no other solution if you cant fix one and fix it all together.
The system is mismatched.

Changing the system as is, can lead to it flooding later on.
You need to give yourself some leg room incase something happens.

So i think you should downsize your pump, as it looks way too big to begin with for your system.
How are they mismatched? The pump at max is 1050 GPH and the overflow is 800gph. If I'm running the pump on the lowest setting, how would it be too much for the overflow?

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP....
The only way you will get more water thru the overflow box into your sump is to Buy new overflow with bigger outflow, or live with 800GPH. The plumbing change from soft to hard will only increase it by a little (if any). This way, you can also increase the pump output
I don't think I'm even coming close to 800. That's why I'm confused.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP....
He's not putting 800gph through it. It would drain the sump. I think we all got the main issue messed up. I think the sump is to small now. If he puts more water in sump the overflow can handle the pump being turned up. But in a power off situation the sump would probably overflow.
Op did I get that right this time?

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in earth is going on here? His pump works at the lowest setting. Are you suggesting he downsize his pump so he can increase the setting?

Sorry OP. You can have your thread back. Good luck.
Thanks for all of your help!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much display tank water siphons to sump once everything is off? How far return outlet from surface of water?

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not putting 800gph through it. It would drain the sump. I think we all got the main issue messed up. I think the sump is to small now. If he puts more water in sump the overflow can handle the pump being turned up. But in a power off situation the sump would probably overflow.
Op did I get that right this time?
Double checking the extra room in the sump. If I kept the return nozzles up then there is about 6", with them down there is 3.5" of space left.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double checking the extra room in the sump. If I kept the return nozzles up then there is about 6", with them down there is 3.5" of space left.
I think @Reefering1 is on to the answer with this post. lift returns or drill a syphon break or use a back flow valve on pump the back flow valve will fail at some point so maybe not the best option.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @Reefering1 is on to the answer with this post. lift returns or drill a syphon break or use a back flow valve on pump the back flow valve will fail at some point so maybe not the best option.
Drill a hole on top of the return nozzles? Basically so it breaks the syphon back to the return?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep it around 5.5-6"
Put the return nozzles close to the surface as possible without air sucking in. Then shut the return pump and skimmer off. Let the water level raise and stabilize(in sump) once siphon breaks. Then add salt water to return chamber until water is 2 inches from the top. Then turn on return pump and skimmer. The try turning up return pump and see how it goes. Almost certain this will resolve your issue.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the return nozzles close to the surface as possible without air sucking in. Then shut the return pump and skimmer off. Let the water level raise and stabilize(in sump) once siphon breaks. Then add salt water to return chamber until water is 2 inches from the top. Then turn on return pump and skimmer. The try turning up return pump and see how it goes. Almost certain this will resolve your issue.
Perfect. I’ll give that a try as soon as I get back home. Had to run out real quick.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a hole on top of the return nozzles? Basically so it breaks the syphon back to the return?
not the top. Maybe side or bottom but out of the water. Water will come out of the hole while its running. There is an old school reefer that has a youtube channel he used a check valve on the hole to stop water from coming out but sucked air in to break syphon. melevsreef is his name lost it for a second lol

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two things you can do without re-plumbing your overflow:

1) Ensure that the sump water level while the pump and skimmer are off to be just below the rim and set your ATO based on the minimum water level in your return chamber when you have your pump flowing how you like it, and
2) Make an adjustment in your overflow to utilize both drains.

Ignore any comment that mentions anything about doing anything to your pump. That said, your return pump piping (all the 90s that are used) are going to really drop your GPH you'll ever be able to push. But at the sounds of it, this won't ever be a problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back