How to increase return flow?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess in reality is the type of pipe is causing restriction. just going with straight pvc will fix a lot of the issue. Making your drain a full syphon will make it quiet and allow greater flow rates. Just dont go much ofver 600gph as thats all your emergency drain is going to be capable of. This is how I have my tank set up I could probably double my return pump volume and it would handle it but my emergency drain would get overwhelmed in a blockage situation. My current return pump is rated at 1600gph its running at about 60% but because of head pressure its probably only putting out around 500gph.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If overflow is rated for 800 GPH, and pump is rated for 1000+ how does OP increase flow into sump?
1) replace with new overflow rated for 1000+GPH
2) throttle pump down (as he has done) and live with 800GPH.
the problem isnt the pump he isnt running at full he cant its only set at 10-20% max which isnt close to its rated output or the overflows max, every time he goes higher the return cant keep up. at 10-20% its probably only getting 200-300gph at most. The problem is the pipes from the return or something else we dont see.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess in reality is the type of pipe is causing restriction. just going with straight pvc will fix a lot of the issue. Making your drain a full syphon will make it quiet and allow greater flow rates. Just dont go much ofver 600gph as thats all your emergency drain is going to be capable of. This is how I have my tank set up I could probably double my return pump volume and it would handle it but my emergency drain would get overwhelmed in a blockage situation. My current return pump is rated at 1600gph its running at about 60% but because of head pressure its probably only putting out around 500gph.
Do you have any pictures of your plumbing?

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem isnt the pump he isnt running at full he cant its only set at 10-20% max which isnt close to its rated output or the overflows max, every time he goes higher the return cant keep up. at 10-20% its probably only getting 200-300gph at most. The problem is the pipes from the return or something else we dont see.
Part of my worry about all of this is that I am about to install a UV and possibly a GFO reactor and I'm worried those two pumps might throw everything off.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of my worry about all of this is that I am about to install a UV and possibly a GFO reactor and I'm worried those two pumps might throw everything off.
I currently dont have a pic, I also dont have the same overflow on this tank not that it matters. Ill take a pic when I get home for you. You can run the uv and reactor back to the sump so you dont need to worry about the overflow. Id run a separate pump for those in your case.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it probably just needs more water.. is the drain backing up or flowing and return pump chamber dropping as pump it turned up?

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Full Tank.jpg
    Full Tank.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dont have a pic, I also dont have the same overflow on this tank not that it matters. Ill take a pic when I get home for you. You can run the uv and reactor back to the sump so you dont need to worry about the overflow. Id run a separate pump for those in your case.
Yes, I will have a separate pump for each.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump has multiple settings according to OP. Google search says pump has 5 settings. OP states it works at lowest setting. What do you want him to throttle back?
Throttle back to match the overflow aontyw sump doesn't run dry. OP wants more flow then he/she will have to change or modify the system. My suggestion to throttle it back was simply so he could run the system as is.. May just need more water in the sump.

EDIT: A valve can still be added to a DC pump to throttle it down. After reading this again with the new posts tho it sounds like maybe the pump isn't the problem

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throttle back to match the overflow aontyw sump doesn't run dry. OP wants more flow then he/she will have to change or modify the system. My suggestion to throttle it back was simply so he could run the system as is.
OP stated he has the pump throttled back to the lowest setting. That is what is currently working.

You’re telling him to do what he’s already doing. He wants to do the opposite of that.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP stated he has the pump throttled back to the lowest setting. That is what is currently working.

You’re telling him to do what he’s already doing. He wants to do the opposite of that.
My bad. I miss read the 1st post thinking the pump was too strong draining the sump but it sounds like the over flow is the restriction. Or its just at it's max flow

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He needs a new pump, or he has to change the overflow.

There is no other solution if you cant fix one and fix it all together.
The system is mismatched.

Changing the system as is, can lead to it flooding later on.
You need to give yourself some leg room incase something happens.

So i think you should downsize your pump, as it looks way too big to begin with for your system.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in earth is going on here? His pump works at the lowest setting. Are you suggesting he downsize his pump so he can increase the setting?

Sorry OP. You can have your thread back. Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back