How to keep macropharyngodon wrasse female

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has some leopard wrasse that they got eating and they are selling them for quite some $$$. I put a hold on them as they know me well, but I did not buy them yet.
For those who have kept or are keeping Macropharyngodon wrasses. How do you keep your wrasse from becoming male. From my understanding their transitions are unpredictable compared to Cirrhilabrus wrasses. However, is there a set pattern or variables that I can use to keep them female? More specifically M. bipartitus as I find the female to be more beautiful. Best case scenario would be to have one female and one male, but if I had to chose I would go with a female. Would having two females and letting one transition over time and the new male keeps the other female be better or would that put pressure on both to turn male?
There are a few scenarios I can go with
1. Keep one female. The lack of another wrasse does not put pressure on the female to transition.
2. Keep two females. One will turn male and keep the second in line. Would there be a higher risk that both turn male in this situation rather than just one female?
3. Keep one female, once it transitions, whether that be in 1 month or 4 years, then add a female.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice. I would like to plan this in advance and not jump the gun.
Thanks and Happy Reefing!

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th option. keep 3 females so you have 2 females & 1 male spreads out male on female breeding agression. plus they are somewhat social so more is better.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In captivity there's no guarantee that a female bipartitus will stay female in any of those scenarios. Enjoy your female bipartitus while you have her :) she may never transition to male, but if she does you'll have no problem finding him a new home (male bipartitus aren't as easy to find) then you can get a new female to enjoy.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In captivity there's no guarantee that a female bipartitus will stay female in any of those scenarios. Enjoy your female bipartitus while you have her :) she may never transition to male, but if she does you'll have no problem finding him a new home (male bipartitus aren't as easy to find) then you can get a new female to enjoy.
Exactly this. I've kept many leopards over the years, never a guarantee one will change, or if any will change, or they may all change.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 4 leopards in my tank and they have all stayed female. Was hoping one will change but no luck so far

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has some leopard wrasse that they got eating and they are selling them for quite some $$$. I put a hold on them as they know me well, but I did not buy them yet.
For those who have kept or are keeping Macropharyngodon wrasses. How do you keep your wrasse from becoming male. From my understanding their transitions are unpredictable compared to Cirrhilabrus wrasses. However, is there a set pattern or variables that I can use to keep them female? More specifically M. bipartitus as I find the female to be more beautiful. Best case scenario would be to have one female and one male, but if I had to chose I would go with a female. Would having two females and letting one transition over time and the new male keeps the other female be better or would that put pressure on both to turn male?
There are a few scenarios I can go with
1. Keep one female. The lack of another wrasse does not put pressure on the female to transition.
2. Keep two females. One will turn male and keep the second in line. Would there be a higher risk that both turn male in this situation rather than just one female?
3. Keep one female, once it transitions, whether that be in 1 month or 4 years, then add a female.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice. I would like to plan this in advance and not jump the gun.
Thanks and Happy Reefing!
Find out if they’re the true bipartitus and not a sister species first, the sister species of bipartitus has a beautiful male (Macropharyngodon marisrubri). I would keep two-three females as keeping pairs/trios of this genus is easier to do due to their unpredictable transitioning.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on the idea of preventing wrasses from turning male, I know add a selection of fairy and leopard wrasses, one will become.dominant and if I'm lucky will prevent others from turning male if not 1-2 more will turn male , they might fight and ill lose one or they might cohabitat .... end result I have multiple wrasses at any time and 1-2 of them are males then 4-5 years later I start losing them of old age. I constantly add wrasses whenever I find nice ones so have a variety of sizes and shapes at any time.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large tank and keep a lot of wrasse. I keep a harem of 4 M. meleagris in my tank. One transform quickly but he always able to keep the other three from transform. He court and spawn with them quite regular, almost daily. The largest transformed in about 1 year and the rest stay female for several years a this time. I only have a single M. negrosensis, which started out as a small female. I got 4 small ones but only 1 survived. He transformed to male in about 1 year time and have been a single Black Leopard male in my tank (along with the Meleagris harem). The two male leopards Meleagris and Negrosensis are doing fine together. No fighting.

Back