Wrasse ID

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to confirm that this is a Carpenters Wrasse and determine whether it's a female or juvenile male. Any help would be appreciated.

20240114_070557.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to confirm that this is a Carpenters Wrasse and determine whether it's a female or juvenile male. Any help would be appreciated.

20240114_070557.jpg
Whatever it is, a carpenters is out of the choices.

This is most likely not a Paracheilinus species but instead a Cirrhilabrus species. More likely from the complex of the Rubriventralis. It could be a Rubeus (it’s highly unlikely to be a true rubriventralis).
as for what stage this specimen is in, it’s a transitioning male whatever species he is. The way I can tell is through the prominent dorsal spike - this is also how I can say what complex the fish is in.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, a carpenters is out of the choices.

This is most likely not a Paracheilinus species but instead a Cirrhilabrus species. More likely from the complex of the Rubriventralis. It could be a Rubeus (it’s highly unlikely to be a true rubriventralis).
as for what stage this specimen is in, it’s a transitioning male whatever species he is. The way I can tell is through the prominent dorsal spike - this is also how I can say what complex the fish is in.
Thank you very much. I had a fish die off and wasn't sure which had made it. I had 3x Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse, Male and 3x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse and this one was the only one that made it so I wasn't sure. I documented the die off in my Tank Thread and how I will be pre medicating new fish in the future.

There are so many great Wrasses', would there be any issue adding additional Wrasses' to a 120 mixed reef with this guy?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I had a fish die off and wasn't sure which had made it. I had 3x Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse, Male and 3x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse and this one was the only one that made it so I wasn't sure. I documented the die off in my Tank Thread and how I will be pre medicating new fish in the future.

There are so many great Wrasses', would there be any issue adding additional Wrasses' to a 120 mixed reef with this guy?
Nope! Just don’t have several males of the same species as they will usually fight to the death and you may not be so lucky this time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back