How to kill various corals?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first thread so I have to start that way. I'm a forum lurker, aquaculture biologist, and coral keeper that is long overdue to join R2R. I have a bunch of coral in my 90 gallon that I'd like to get rid of. There are other corals next to all of these, so I need a good and safe way to kill parts of them without harming adjacent specimens or removing rocks (many are low in the structure). Selling is not an option for these unfortunately - they grow too fast! Here's what I'm looking to kill:

Mystic sunset Montipora
Yellow stone polyps
Palythoa
Zoanthus
Anthelia
(been cutting it back with scissors)
John Deer Leptastrea

The John Deer has an unknown coral growing out of it that looks like a purple Leptastrea with a green center, but the polyps are a bit bigger. I'd rather grow that one out. Again, these are all next to other corals so torch/hydno are not options. I'm hesitant about aiptasia products too because I'm worried about it falling on the other corals. I've never used kalk paste, but I would probably need to use a lot over time so I'm concerned about that as well. I do have some epoxy though, and we sell JB weld at work. I've heard JB weld is okay in a reef tank, but I've never tried it.

Everything is in balance and I don't want to disrupt it at all. I know I have at leas a couple of species of copepods, plus I have amphipods, crabs, 9 species of gastropod (mostly snails, some breeding), and one of those blue photosynthetic sponges. The fish stocking density is low and there is never noticeable algae, except for coralline and some red bubble algae that mostly shows up on the powerheads.

Thanks in advance for the input!

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cant pull the LR.... then find a chisel like these:

20200121_194943.jpg

**** you duct tape the chisel to the end of a PVC pipe. You find where you want to chisel. Lay the chisel against the LR and WHACK the other end with a hammer.

Instant frag you can SELL

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all flow and try hitting it with a shot of boiling RODI water from a turkey baster. May have to repeat over several days.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200121_194943.jpg

**** you duct tape the chisel to the end of a PVC pipe. You find where you want to chisel. Lay the chisel against the LR and WHACK the other end with a hammer.

Boy that method would make me nervous. I think it's the whole, " whack with hammer" and glass tank, probably just me.
Got to be a better way, not sure what though. Perhaps epoxy, one piece at a time.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go the epoxy/kalkwasser route so it's a little better controlled. I'd also run a bit more carbon and kill off the corals slowly as your probably going to notice extra slime, etc, from killing off the corals.

OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. If I decide to frag rocks I'll try the chisel method in the future. These corals have no value near me since I already have enough for my LFS. The John Deer is the exception, but I want the coral growing out of it to take over. Might happen on its own though.

I'll probably go with some epoxy since I trust it but I'm kind of intrigued by the boiling water. I hadn't thought about using that as a targeted strategy. My yellow polyps are tough though. They survived 24 hours in straight chlorinated tap water. A couple are living on the heater in my quarantine tank too.

Another thing I thought about was those high-power lasers that people have used for aiptasia. Maybe it will work on coral too. Then I can just zap them from outside the tank. Chances are I'll never get one of those though lol.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you can kill them and it will be humane! Put them in the ocean!hahaha
Sorry, I had too.

One question about this idea though, if you just start killing coral, couldn’t this cause a very big algae problem then lead into a tank crash?

There’s no locals that’s willing to save them from the mad scientist?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy that method would make me nervous. I think it's the whole, " whack with hammer" and glass tank, probably just me.
Got to be a better way, not sure what though. Perhaps epoxy, one piece at a time.
In the tank? Couldn’t that crack the bottom glass
You underestimate the Power of The Darkside.... wait wrong movie

You underestimate the Strength of Tempered Glass, especially 1/2".... this test was 3/16th glass... roughly 33% the thickness of 1/2"

Last edited:

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200121_194943.jpg

In the tank? Couldn’t that crack the bottom glass

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. If I decide to frag rocks I'll try the chisel method in the future. These corals have no value near me since I already have enough for my LFS. The John Deer is the exception, but I want the coral growing out of it to take over. Might happen on its own though.

I'll probably go with some epoxy since I trust it but I'm kind of intrigued by the boiling water. I hadn't thought about using that as a targeted strategy. My yellow polyps are tough though. They survived 24 hours in straight chlorinated tap water. A couple are living on the heater in my quarantine tank too.

Another thing I thought about was those high-power lasers that people have used for aiptasia. Maybe it will work on coral too. Then I can just zap them from outside the tank. Chances are I'll never get one of those though lol.
Thought you were to never boil live rock. Especially Zoa and paly. Right? The vapor/steam is highly toxic and will send your whole family to emergency room.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

First i need to say #WelcimetoR2R

if you want a guarantee on killing them, send them to me for a week in my tank. Problem solved :D

I would tend to agree the most controlled and precise method is to pull the rock if able and manually remove it as mentioned. It can be done with a chisel or a dremel with water flow to cool the rock. If doing this all protective gear needs to be worn.

OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably dremmel the rocks i can remove and do one of the other methods for the stuff near the bottom. I'm not too worried about the palys - I've taken a toothbrush to them several times. I won't be boiling that rock though. Hot, fresh water did kill a large rock of stone polyps and Anthelia in the past, so it's certainly viable. I soaked them in that water for 2 days as well though.

I also forgot to mention a cactus pavona. It's growing up and over a moti cap and the mystic sunset so I'd like to stop it in its tracks. I think I'll epoxy over it so that the monti can grow back while the pavona dies. All good suggestions though!

Some frags of these can be given away for free to anyone near Orlando that wants to pick them up, fyi.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably dremmel the rocks i can remove and do one of the other methods for the stuff near the bottom. I'm not too worried about the palys - I've taken a toothbrush to them several times. I won't be boiling that rock though. Hot, fresh water did kill a large rock of stone polyps and Anthelia in the past, so it's certainly viable. I soaked them in that water for 2 days as well though.

I also forgot to mention a cactus pavona. It's growing up and over a moti cap and the mystic sunset so I'd like to stop it in its tracks. I think I'll epoxy over it so that the monti can grow back while the pavona dies. All good suggestions though!

Some frags of these can be given away for free to anyone near Orlando that wants to pick them up, fyi.
Would you be willing to ship?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
welcome there pr eye hope it is not too late don't kill any coral,sell,give away ,just don't kill

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm sorry i misread thought you said you were going to boil palys sorry my bad

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back