How to know adopted tank is safe for new additions i.e. should I quarantine?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a question on adopting a tank. As I stated in the general discussion, it looks like I'll be adopting a 92 corner reef that has been up and running for years. While the tank has been stable for the current owner, I'm concerned about moving the reef, and if that stress will cause outbreaks. Also, since I don't know if the fish were quarantined originally, how do I make sure it is safe for additions in the future? (No current plans after the move for additions, I want to get the tank restabilized first.)

If you were adopting and moving a reef, what sort of quarantine regiment would you do for the existing fish? Am I over thinking this, or is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks, Chris

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don’t know assume you have ich. Either treat the fish with copper or go ich management. If you plan on qt for all other additions I would qt everything before starting.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a question on adopting a tank. As I stated in the general discussion, it looks like I'll be adopting a 92 corner reef that has been up and running for years. While the tank has been stable for the current owner, I'm concerned about moving the reef, and if that stress will cause outbreaks. Also, since I don't know if the fish were quarantined originally, how do I make sure it is safe for additions in the future? (No current plans after the move for additions, I want to get the tank restabilized first.)

If you were adopting and moving a reef, what sort of quarantine regiment would you do for the existing fish? Am I over thinking this, or is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks, Chris
First thing is to ask when the last new fish was added and when the last invertebrate was added (could act as a vector). If the time frame is longer than about 4 months, and if you do the move properly, there is really no risk at all. If the person added new animals less than about 45 days ago, there is more risk.
Jay

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like Jay stated above.
He's our resident disease master and knows what he is talking about!
I never medicate fish that are not sick.
Look through R2R. There are many many threads on moving tanks.
You are basically relocating a complete ecosystem from one place to another.
I love doing one day tank moves. I'm not an expert by any means. Just a hobbiest with experience.
Formulate a plan. Look through the threads and if you have any more questions, hit us up.
Joel

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to ask when the last new fish was added and when the last invertebrate was added (could act as a vector). If the time frame is longer than about 4 months, and if you do the move properly, there is really no risk at all. If the person added new animals less than about 45 days ago, there is more risk.
Jay
If I remember correctly, it was ~2 years ago when he added the Sailfin Tang.

Can you please clarify "move properly"? It's a 16 year old reef in s 92 corner. He lives <15 minutes from my house. We're still working out the details, but probably doing the move 1st or 2nd weekend of April. I've been trying to do a lot of reading on tank moves so we can have a good process.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, it was ~2 years ago when he added the Sailfin Tang.

Can you please clarify "move properly"? It's a 16 year old reef in s 92 corner. He lives <15 minutes from my house. We're still working out the details, but probably doing the move 1st or 2nd weekend of April. I've been trying to do a lot of reading on tank moves so we can have a good process.
Move properly, well that has a lot of pieces to it (grin). I just meant have a plan like mixing up replacement water in advance, moving the rock and fish separately, mainting temperature and aeration, etc. each move is unique, you just need o minimize the stress.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back