How to Lower Alkalinity? Is there a Product out there to Lower Alkalinity like you can with PH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is muriatic acid reef safe?

Muriatic acid and sodium bisulfate are reef safe (or I wouldn't be recommending them lol), but there is a big pH lowering effect as you lower alkalinity. That's why I usually recommend using them to lower alk in new salt water to very low (say, 2-4 dKH), and then do water change with them after aerating to remove the excess CO2.

But you can add them directly to a reef tank. DO it VERY slowly so the tank can blow off the excess CO2, and add it to a sump or other please where no creatures will encounter the acid before it disperses.

These have details:

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. This thread is super old, but the alk in the OP's scenario likely came from his salt mix so I'm not sure how that will help him.
I didn't realize the age of this thread or I probably wouldn't have posted. My point about water change was to 1) do a water change or set of water changes in case something was added in too much quantity to raise the Alk or 2) they were using salt that produced that high of Alk, which seems pretty high for many salts. If that were the case a set of water changes with lower producing Alk would help dramatically since the original poster mentioned the frag tank was just being set up. Much easier than adding tons of chemicals at this stage of the tank setup.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much easier than adding tons of chemicals at this stage of the tank setup.

I think it is way more work (and cost) to lower alk by normal water change than to change much less water with even lower alk by adding a small amount of acid to it. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back