How to lower Magnesium

Salty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2 months old but right now my mg is in the 1480 range I’m not sure if I should keep it that way for this tank or should I worry

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
you are absolutely fine.
In my opinion, Magnesium is something that you shouldn’t worry at all in the beginning.
Particularly if you are using a hobby kit, which normally are not precise.

I would only pay attention to that (and not much) in the future if your tank is heavily stock with corals.

Cheers And enjoy the new tank!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check the test result, and also if your doing water changes check what the salts mixes to as standard

But don’t worry, it’s slightly raised, but not to bad, I keep my around 1350 ish

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What they've said^^^

I'll add this - Test kits for Mg can be very finicky. I use Salifert for everything and have for years. Simple, easy to use, good price point. That being said - for their other tests you can get away with rushing them a bit and still get good, repeatable results. For Mg, the procedure must be followed as closely as possible to get the same repeatble results of the other kits.

Many salt mixes are fairly high in Mg, so just keep an eye on it. IMHO, a little on the high side is way better than letting it run low in any case. When it starts to get low it can be nearly impossible to keep your Ca and Alk in range.

OP
OP
Salty2

Salty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What they've said^^^

I'll add this - Test kits for Mg can be very finicky. I use Salifert for everything and have for years. Simple, easy to use, good price point. That being said - for their other tests you can get away with rushing them a bit and still get good, repeatable results. For Mg, the procedure must be followed as closely as possible to get the same repeatble results of the other kits.

Many salt mixes are fairly high in Mg, so just keep an eye on it. IMHO, a little on the high side is way better than letting it run low in any case. When it starts to get low it can be nearly impossible to keep your Ca and Alk in range.
Wow thank you for this info it helps a lot !!

OP
OP
Salty2

Salty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check the test result, and also if your doing water changes check what the salts mixes to as standard

But don’t worry, it’s slightly raised, but not to bad, I keep my around 1350 ish
Ok that gave me an idea how my personal parameters on my 20 g tank would be. Thank you so much!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back