How to make food blend more dense?

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my homemade mix, I use Hikari Mysis, LRS Reef Nano, RN Arcti-Pods, SFB Fish Eggs, PE Calanus, Decap. Brine Shrimp, Variety of pellets, Seachem Reef Plus, and Selcon. Then I blend it with a blender, I don't thaw it prior, just stuff them in frozen then blend them. This mix is mainly for my dragonets and corals.

However, I have a new dragonet and he likes to eat his food in a pile rather than scattered. The problem is, my blend simply floats up to the surface until broken apart by flow, I'm guessing it's the air in the mixture when blending it. I would also like to start target feeding my corals, but of course with this mix, it's impossible.

How do you make food blends more dense? I would like it to rest on the bottom, yet keep the viscosity low, since they prefer a more liquidy paste. Is there anything I should add or do to make this possible?

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it's the air in the mixture that is the problem try pressing a portion of the thawed mix with a flat blade to remove any air. It may be enough to make it sit in a pile.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you completely thaw the food mixture and compress it to remove air and it still floats, it may just be that some ingredients float regardless of trapped air. You may have to isolate which ingredients float and just not include them in your mixture. When you blend the mixture you can try letting it sit in a wide shallow pan for a few minutes to let the trapped air escape before you freeze it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back