How to make the move

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 45 that is 3 years old, and while I thought I would never again start a larger tank (mostly because of downsizing our home), well you know how that story goes...

It turns out my wife would like me to spend more time in the basement so she suggested a larger tank! So I have just finished setting up a Red Sea Reefer 425XL. That is about the max wall space I have. Turns out even though it is on a cement slab, leveling was the biggest problem (wish RS had adjustable feet on all models).

The new tank is running and only has sand, some wet some dry, so far. All parameters on both tanks are the same: SpG, Ca++, Mg++, DKh, and temp are almost identical. Obviously PO4 is zero in the new system.
I don't have enough rock in the JBJ to scape the new tank. Is it best to use dry rock for my base and avoid any breakdown products from LFS "cured" wet rock, and then add my JBJ rock. Can I move the corals over all at once now? (Have brought leather tree and gorgonian over already as they were getting burned by neighbor corals due to growth. They are doing fine.) I guess in theory if I bring all my rock and corals over to the new tank there should be enough bacterial filtration to support that biomass, as nothing has changed other than water volume. Would the new tank in effect not be cycled?
I have about 12 inches of fish and can keep them in the JBJ indefinitely although they will have to downsize to PVC homes, to be sure all is stable in the Reefer. They are all three years in the tank but for the Mandarin who has been around for one year. I plan to use the JBJ for subsequent QT.

What's the best way to make the move?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're adding new dry rock, you'll want it to cure for a month or so....until water changes are starting to result in P and N going down. Dry rock will "release" the old death from within and cause a spike in nitrates and phosphates as that stuff decays. Need to let the rock get all that "death" out of there first. Once that is done (and the cycle usually occurs concurrently), you're good to make the transfer.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used "cured" rock from the LFS with the JBJ and it never had a measurable cycle. Just a mild diatom bloom and nothing else. So I guess I have a pretty good source of wetrock.
The problem will be figuring out how to scape the tank knowing I will have to incorporate what is in the JBJ.
Slowly.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Would anyone consider moving all the JBJ over to the new tank and cure additional rock in the empty JBJ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back