How to Mix Saltwater for Your Aquarium: A Step by Step Tutorial

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
I was wondering if the video was going to mention how convenient it is to weigh salt instead of measuring volume. I fell of my chair when you said it was terrible. You can use a $20 scale from Harbor Freight and would be shocked at how much variation in weight there is from scoop to scoop. It only gets worse the bigger the scooping container. I can get 700-1000 grams in a quart Mason jar depending on if I pour it in or take an aggressive scoop. Mass (weight) is consistent. If I need 2600 grams for 18 gallons I just put 2600 in my calculator. Take a huge quart scoop, weigh it, subtract and dump it in. Do that once more. Then I am left with maybe 200-400 grams. Measure that on the scale and adjust it to whatever the calculator says is left to add. Takes 30 seconds and my salinity will be dead on every time (if you measured you water accurately). I didn't have to adjust it because my scoops were different density. A tip is to mark a fill line on your container and weigh all the salt you put in. Once you obtain the desired salinity, life is easy. Just fill water to the line and add that much grams of salt. You will not need to tweak the salinity of your change water unless you change salt brands.

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
step 1: have water
step 2: add salt

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back