How to Move a 400G Tank

ZReefGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I have a 400 gallon tank set up and will be moving out of state. Not exactly sure how to go about moving such a big system. Any suggestions? I may end up having to sell it as I’m not sure it will work in new house. Problem is we will be moving to new area before new house is built. Need to rent prior to moving to finished house. Makes it even more difficult to figure out how to move my system. Any recommendations appreciated.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I have a 400 gallon tank set up and will be moving out of state. Not exactly sure how to go about moving such a big system. Any suggestions? I may end up having to sell it as I’m not sure it will work in new house. Problem is we will be moving to new area before new house is built. Need to rent prior to moving to finished house. Makes it even more difficult to figure out how to move my system. Any recommendations appreciated.

I would definitely sell all your livestock. It's possible to move it, but such a headache, especially if you're staying in a rental for a while.

I would keep all your expensive equipment. Sell any equipment you know you won't need, or things that are big and bulky but not too expensive.

The tank itself is a tough call. It's expensive to move and to store. The tank may get damaged in the move which could make it worthless. And it sounds like you're not sure that it will even fit in the new house. But it's expensive to sell it at a loss and then buy a new one for your new home. Think about how much you like your current tank. Is it acrylic, but what you really want is glass? Do you love the dimensions, or would you rather have different dimensions? Do you love the way it's drilled, or the overflows, or whatever?

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hate to say it, but selling anything super heavy or alive might be your best bet.

As stated above, if your tank has a leak in any way, that’s a nightmare.

Your fish might all die in the move from stress or from temp/other issues. Reacclimation, etc - it’s hard to move live animals more than a few hours away.Plus, what if they survived, but your tank was damaged in the move?

Get top dollar for your stuff now, and take pics and videos to remember how awesome everything was. Then rebuild it even better than before.

OP
OP
ZReefGirl

ZReefGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely sell all your livestock. It's possible to move it, but such a headache, especially if you're staying in a rental for a while.

I would keep all your expensive equipment. Sell any equipment you know you won't need, or things that are big and bulky but not too expensive.

The tank itself is a tough call. It's expensive to move and to store. The tank may get damaged in the move which could make it worthless. And it sounds like you're not sure that it will even fit in the new house. But it's expensive to sell it at a loss and then buy a new one for your new home. Think about how much you like your current tank. Is it acrylic, but what you really want is glass? Do you love the dimensions, or would you rather have different dimensions? Do you love the way it's drilled, or the overflows, or whatever?

Yes, I think you are right. Sell all of the livestock or rehome. With the logistics of living in a rental first and then moving again, it’s going to be difficult to say the least and they may not survive all the stress. I will likely need to get a new tank anyway because of where it would go. Current configuration wouldn’t work there.

OP
OP
ZReefGirl

ZReefGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ZReefGirl

ZReefGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but selling anything super heavy or alive might be your best bet.

As stated above, if your tank has a leak in any way, that’s a nightmare.

Your fish might all die in the move from stress or from temp/other issues. Reacclimation, etc - it’s hard to move live animals more than a few hours away.Plus, what if they survived, but your tank was damaged in the move?

Get top dollar for your stuff now, and take pics and videos to remember how awesome everything was. Then rebuild it even better than before.

I was worried about the transport as it’s an 11 hour drive! Good idea to sell what I can - I have a lot of equipment I’m not even using right now and a couple of things still in boxes brand new! And then rebuild...

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about the transport as it’s an 11 hour drive! Good idea to sell what I can - I have a lot of equipment I’m not even using right now and a couple of things still in boxes brand new! And then rebuild...
In most case when you sell Aquarium items your not going to get anywhere close to what you paid for it so if it was me I'd keep whatever I could that can be used on the new tank when you get it especially if it's new.

OP
OP
ZReefGirl

ZReefGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most case when you sell Aquarium items your not going to get anywhere close to what you paid for it so if it was me I'd keep whatever I could that can be used on the new tank when you get it especially if it's new.
Good point.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell some live stock and setup something to keep your rock going. If you have a good tank with good bio diverse rock I would hesitate to get rid of it. Tough call. I have some rock I’ve kept going for 27 years.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if you were able to watch the Webinar but one of the key notes I took from the part I watched dealt with corals. He made a point to cut some frogs & setup with the people with tanks in your area now & where your moving to to keep them for you until your ready for them especially any corals that you may have a hard time finding them again. He also talked about finding people along the moving route in case of an emergency if you need to stop. I'm trying to find a link that will let me watch the whole thing but haven't found it so far.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back