How to plumb Aqueon megaflow 125g reef ready

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So, I finally got my tank today, and the tank comes with a plumbing kit for dual durso with 2 returns. The bulkheads are barbed, so I will probably buy new bulkheads. I want to herbie style at least.

I thought about doing one 3/4 return in each overflow, with a full siphon 1 inch drain in one and emergy 1 inch drain in the other overflow. I'm thinking of using a vectra m2.

What do you all think? Should I try bean animal style with 1 return? If I do animal style with 1 return, what sizes for all the pipes?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your dual herbie running?
I said Herbie but I meant Durso. My bad. My silencer on the Durso drain is a little unique, though, as I used a strainer to quiet the flow and prevent inadvertent fish flushing to the sump :)

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang, I’m reading your build now. I am going to coNvert my dual Durso to herbie, wanted some input on how it was running.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m reading that it can be difficult to dial in 2 herbies

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading that it can be difficult to dial in 2 herbies
Doing it currently on 2 tanks - a 120g & a 180g - both run fine and are easy to dial in.

The video below is not mine - but he does a great job showing you how to do it and how well it runs.

I've been running like this for a couple years with absolutely zero issues.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing it currently on 2 tanks - a 120g & a 180g - both run fine and are easy to dial in.
So in your application do you have a 1” and 3/4” drain in each overflow? Which one are you using for full siphon and which one are you using for emergency

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your application do you have a 1” and 3/4” drain in each overflow? Which one are you using for full siphon and which one are you using for emergency
My predrilled holes in both accepted 1" bulkheads - I'm running 4 drains, each 1". Each overflow has a full siphon with a gate valve and an open channel.

Returns are 1" from the pump - dropped down to 3/4" and run over the top of the tank. Each tank has 2 of those returns.

I'll point out - I do not run a TON of flow through my sumps - I'm guessing maybe 1,000 gph - I prefer to handle and control flow with powerheads / gyres in the tank.

If I was forced to use a 3/4" & a 1" - the smaller will always be my full siphon with the larger the open / emergency channel.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I was forced to use a 3/4" & a 1" - the smaller will always be my full siphon with the larger the open / emergency channel.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I was thinking that too. So you use a gate valve on each of your full siphon drains independently right?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking that too. So you use a gate valve on each of your full siphon drains independently right?
[/QUOTE]
Correct - I never combine drain lines. That's just me though - plenty of people do it without issue.

I'm paranoid and one of my top priorities is to never have a flood - at least not from something stupid like a silly snail taking the express lane to the sump.

Slurping and gurgling drains also annoy me - my tanks are not all that quiet between the pumps, skimmers etc - but for some crazy reason a noisy drain just irritates me.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally missed the video up top, exactly what I was looking for. Thank You!!!

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also linked your video in my build thread because we were talking about it, thanks again.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your just running a full siphon with one drain?
No, I don't run a siphon at all. It's an overflow with a screen like you'd use in a Herbie, but not a siphon. It's much quieter than a traditional Durso with elbows and a vent hole.

I would also second the comment about not running a lot of flow. I, too, probably run about 1000 gph through two overflows.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back