How to plumb overflow discharge into sumps? Need some help with best method

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing up my sump area. Its in the basement and the plumbing is around 1000gph. I always struggle with how to affix/ set up the overflow lines into the sump. I have a full siphon and a durso stand pipe. My current sump i designed to have a chamber where the two pipes come in and are inside of a lid. This is contained area with a lid. When the siphon is establishing, the chamber is full of bubbles and would be a mess if I didnt have the cover. My new design will have the overflow dumping into a Fuge that will not be covered. The bubbles will be bad news in this tank. I dont have enough room to make a chamber in the fuge.

How do you guys dump the overflow water into the sump and reduce bubbles/splashing? Is there a best way to plumb this? Am i overthinking this and just sticking the pipes at water level will suffice?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing up my sump area. Its in the basement and the plumbing is around 1000gph. I always struggle with how to affix/ set up the overflow lines into the sump. I have a full siphon and a durso stand pipe. My current sump i designed to have a chamber where the two pipes come in and are inside of a lid. This is contained area with a lid. When the siphon is establishing, the chamber is full of bubbles and would be a mess if I didnt have the cover. My new design will have the overflow dumping into a Fuge that will not be covered. The bubbles will be bad news in this tank. I dont have enough room to make a chamber in the fuge.

How do you guys dump the overflow water into the sump and reduce bubbles/splashing? Is there a best way to plumb this? Am i overthinking this and just sticking the pipes at water level will suffice?
check out my build. i have a bean animal with the full siphon going into my skimmer section, the partial and emergency going into the fuge section. no lids, no socks. the full and partial empty under liquid and the emergency drops into fuge from a couple of inches. my flow is not as large as yours but emptying underwater seems to tame the bubbles. i am thinking of chopping off the pipes so that i can pour into socks but thanks to your issue i may not.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if reducing or increasing the pipe size would make a difference. I will experiment on my current set up and see if something makes a different. In the past i have toyed with tees but found that you have to have you overflow pipe enter a tee just underwater level in the sump. It contains the bubbles but is not fool proof and you have alot of plumbing in the tank. I could drill and hard plumb the overflow into the fuge and have just the larger pipe in the water.

I will have to see if the durso or the full siphon is the one giving me problems in my current set up.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if reducing or increasing the pipe size would make a difference. I will experiment on my current set up and see if something makes a different. In the past i have toyed with tees but found that you have to have you overflow pipe enter a tee just underwater level in the sump. It contains the bubbles but is not fool proof and you have alot of plumbing in the tank. I could drill and hard plumb the overflow into the fuge and have just the larger pipe in the water.

I will have to see if the durso or the full siphon is the one giving me problems in my current set up.
i know that skimmers overflow with bubbles when new, after break in they settle down. i am wondering if new plumbing does the same. i also wonder if new water bubbles more that older due to changes in the surface tension of the water.
could a foam filter attached to the end of the pipe break up the bubbles?i am thinking of the can shaped one that came for the outflow of a skimmer

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back