How to Quarantine

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. Now for something a little different; does anyone know where I can find a reef-safe container for a). the occasional freshwater dipping of new or sick fish and b). the temporary housing of fish while I'm sterilizing their QT tank. Preferably dark so I can see what falls off the fish during the dip. Sorry to side track this thread for something so mundane.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. Now for something a little different; does anyone know where I can find a reef-safe container for a). the occasional freshwater dipping of new or sick fish and b). the temporary housing of fish while I'm sterilizing their QT tank. Preferably dark so I can see what falls off the fish during the dip. Sorry to side track this thread for something so mundane.
a decent plastic pail...dark with cover...:D

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should've put more emphasis on 'reef-safe'. Are we talking just any old Home Depot/Hardware store dark bucket or is there a food grade industry standard (i.e. Rubbermaid Brute) bucket out there that everyone uses? Concerned about leaching phosphates. Warranted? TIA.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should've put more emphasis on 'reef-safe'. Are we talking just any old Home Depot/Hardware store dark bucket or is there a food grade industry standard (i.e. Rubbermaid Brute) bucket out there that everyone uses? Concerned about leaching phosphates. Warranted? TIA.

I've always just used any ol' plastic bucket (Home Depot, Lowe's), but I clean it out first with vinegar. If you can find a "food grade" bucket, that would be ideal.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this spot on yellow tang today. Can you please help me identify what this is?

20170403_212204-1.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this spot on yellow tang today. Can you please help me identify what this is?

20170403_212204-1.jpg

While tangs are not usually prone to uronema, it can happen. It's most likely a bacterial infection or internal bleeding. If it's internal bleeding I dont know anything you can do for that... the infection would be easier to treat with antibiotics like kanaplex or furan2 or both together.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Congaken - Thanks.

I actually did go to Meredith's ID page but didn't even realized that it could be uremia marinum cause of the shape. I hope that's not what it is.

Darn, I was about to move him out of QT and move him in to the DT.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 - Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have those meds on hands. I just gave him a fresh water dip not too long ago. I hope it's just a bacterial infection and nothing more serious than that. I'll go online to find those meds. Hopefully he'll survive until then.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 - Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have those meds on hands. I just gave him a fresh water dip not too long ago. I hope it's just a bacterial infection and nothing more serious than that. I'll go online to find those meds. Hopefully he'll survive until then.

Actually bacterial infections are my least favorite thing to have to treat. They can be tricky. The gram negative bacteria can kill faster than velvet and you dont even realize something is wrong until it's too late to treat.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that part now about the bacterial infection. I was only think about the uronema being introduced to the tank and never getting rid of it.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While tangs are not usually prone to uronema, it can happen. It's most likely a bacterial infection or internal bleeding. If it's internal bleeding I dont know anything you can do for that... the infection would be easier to treat with antibiotics like kanaplex or furan2 or both together.
Had one like that on a bf...used Focus to bind Metorplex to food...took two days or so...

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang is gone. :(

The lyretail seems to be affected too. :(

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually bacterial infections are my least favorite thing to have to treat. They can be tricky. The gram negative bacteria can kill faster than velvet and you dont even realize something is wrong until it's too late to treat.

+1 Bacterial infections are a nightmare because there are so many different strains and without a scope ID, you have to just hope the antibiotic you are using effectively targets the offending bacterium.

Yellow tang is gone. :(

The lyretail seems to be affected too. :(
You need to move FAST before this spirals out of control. Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex would be the best option at this point. A 90 min acriflavine bath (ex. Ruby Reef Rally) might help to slow it down.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - Thanks

I just placed an order for all meds you had mentioned. I went ahead and added Focus to the list as well.

Do I just follow the instructions on the packages?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience (limited) thus far with Metro and Kanaplex + focus is that the fish will not even look at it... I have added garlic to make it more palatable but even than they would just walk away. Curious to know others' experiences and tricks to get them to eat it.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I just follow the instructions on the packages?

Yes; dose all medications concurrently.

My experience (limited) thus far with Metro and Kanaplex + focus is that the fish will not even look at it... I have added garlic to make it more palatable but even than they would just walk away. Curious to know others' experiences and tricks to get them to eat it.
I haven't had much trouble getting most fish to eat it. Seachem also sells a product called "Entice" which is supposed to enhance palatability. A LFS I advise swears by it to get MI and finicky butterflies to eat.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish ate it like nothing flat...if you mix it with food they like, should be no problem...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back