How to Quarantine

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. At least it was the pellets they completely attack if not medicated. Had to slightly dissolve in a bit of water to mix the meds in but they would have none of it. Just curious about others experiences.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will adding an ammonia reducer like Prime to a tank with Prazi or Metro make anything toxic? I know it's a no no for copper but what about other meds?

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang is gone. :(

The lyretail seems to be affected too. :(
Really sorry...we all need to have the basic Rx on hand...including Chloroquine Phosphate...If its velvet or uremia...it works...am I correct, Bobby or Meredith?...no expert here...
Will adding an ammonia reducer like Prime to a tank with Prazi or Metro make anything toxic? I know it's a no no for copper but what about other meds?
I don't think so...but I'm not a med expert...question is why do you have ammonia...if you do...that may be what's happening to your fish...Humble or Meredith...HELP!:eek:

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. At least it was the pellets they completely attack if not medicated. Had to slightly dissolve in a bit of water to mix the meds in but they would have none of it. Just curious about others experiences.
Do you feed frozen Mysis and such...I sort of mashed it up with the meds and whamo!:cool:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure about metro, but there have been bad anecdotal experiences of mixing ammonia reducer + Prazi.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry...we all need to have the basic Rx on hand...including Chloroquine Phosphate...If its velvet or uremia...it works...am I correct, Bobby or Meredith?...no expert here...

Thanks. Sigh....I only had copper safe, cupramine, prazi, Paraguard, and kick-ich. I was about to get CP when I buy clown fish and chromis after this batch of other fish get moved over to the DT.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience (limited) thus far with Metro and Kanaplex + focus is that the fish will not even look at it... I have added garlic to make it more palatable but even than they would just walk away. Curious to know others' experiences and tricks to get them to eat it.

I haven't tried everything, but for what I've tried I've never had a fish eat meds. They seem to know 100% of the time. Certainly they know more than a dog or cat does!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried everything, but for what I've tried I've never had a fish eat meds. They seem to know 100% of the time. Certainly they know more than a dog or cat does!
Focus really helps...mix with enough food...follow the directions...mine ate it every time...what fish did you have that you tried it on...?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I have tried with focus and garlic, and still they would not eat. Have to try it with frozen. Not that I need it (no il fish), but next time. [emoji4]

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus really helps...mix with enough food...follow the directions...mine ate it every time...what fish did you have that you tried it on...?

Many different target fish but only Seachem Metro. It was claimed to be all that worked if you could get them to eat it. I got a lot of finicky fish to eat lots of different foods, but never medicated food. I don't know what Focus is, but clearly they invented it for a reason. ;)

YMMV

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different target fish but only Seachem Metro. It was claimed to be all that worked if you could get them to eat it. I got a lot of finicky fish to eat lots of different foods, but never medicated food. I don't know what Focus is, but clearly they invented it for a reason. ;)

YMMV
saw some stringy stuff in the water this morning...could be worms so I'll do the metroplex, food and focus...2X, 2days apart should do it...Focus binds the meds to the food...so it doesn't just drift away...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saw some stringy stuff in the water this morning...could be worms so I'll do the metroplex, food and focus...2X, 2days apart should do it...Focus binds the meds to the food...so it doesn't just drift away...

You want to feed metroplex (for intestinal worms) once a day, every day for a minimum of 10 days... though it can take longer than that to clear up the worms since they tend to be stubborn.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had good experiences with Wrasse and copper? I am planning to add a couple of Wrasse (Melanarus and Yellow coroa) but my last experience with a Solorensis Wrasse and cupramine was not great.

To be fair, I may have overdosed slightly given that to my eye the currently recommended dose of 20 drops per 10 liters looks more like 0,60 than 0,50 on the (impossible to read) Seachem copper test (I wish Hanna would come out with a copper checker [emoji849]). I get much closer to 0,50 using their previous recommendation of 16 drops per liter.

Having said this, the yellow eye cole that was in with the Wrasse went through the treatment with no issues.

Anyhow, let me know if you have had experience with these specific two: melanarus and yellow coris.

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had good experiences with Wrasse and copper? I am planning to add a couple of Wrasse (Melanarus and Yellow coroa) but my last experience with a Solorensis Wrasse and cupramine was not great.

I've run both species through Coppersafe many times with great success. It's been so long since I've used Cupramine that I can't remember my success rate with wrasses.

120reefermadnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question....im about to dose prozipro for the first(first time using quarantine at all) I have 3 purple fire fish in a 10gal tank for 2 weeks now all eating music the whole time. I've read through your first post on does and donts but my question is if prazi is only active 72 hours why should I wait 5-7 days on first treatment then 5 days on 2nd treatment before water changes?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question....im about to dose prozipro for the first(first time using quarantine at all) I have 3 purple fire fish in a 10gal tank for 2 weeks now all eating music the whole time. I've read through your first post on does and donts but my question is if prazi is only active 72 hours why should I wait 5-7 days on first treatment then 5 days on 2nd treatment before water changes?

The water changes are more for removing waste from dead flukes and toxins that were released by dying flukes. Before you hit the "next generation" with another round of Prazipro.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water changes are more for removing waste from dead flukes and toxins that were released by dying flukes. Before you hit the "next generation" with another round of Prazipro.
Also...don't be surprised if one or two of the ff eventually kills the others...especially in a 10...they are well know for fighting till the last man unless you have a m and f pair...I started out with 6 in my 65...now have one pair and an outlier who is pretty skinny and may eventually succumb...recommend Scott W. Michael's " Nano Reef Species" and his "Marine Fishes"...it'll tell you the needs of each fish and what works and what to avoid...also the Newbie forum on R2R is a good place to start...good luck...

scp

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back