How to Quarantine

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info., guys and gals! Is there any downside to treating with both medications at the same time-- GC/CP or GC/copper?

I like the idea of using both medications at the same tome to end my quarantine a little earlier (still 30 days under treatment minimum, but not 40+ days). I figure that since I'll be using copper only for fish sensitive to CP, I'll always run 30 days with CP or copper. If I run into a problem where a fish stops eating after a couple of weeks of treatment, I'll just put them in a sterilized tank and observe the rest of the way.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info., guys and gals! Is there any downside to treating with both medications at the same time-- GC/CP or GC/copper?

I like the idea of using both medications at the same tome to end my quarantine a little earlier (still 30 days under treatment minimum, but not 40+ days). I figure that since I'll be using copper only for fish sensitive to CP, I'll always run 30 days with CP or copper. If I run into a problem where a fish stops eating after a couple of weeks of treatment, I'll just put them in a sterilized tank and observe the rest of the way.
I may be mistaken, but I think more fish are sensitive to copper than CP...my understanding is that there are very few side effects as opposed to copper...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be mistaken, but I think more fish are sensitive to copper than CP...my understanding is that there are very few side effects as opposed to copper...
Wrasses and Anthias seem to not do well with CP. But you are correct, most other fish tend to do better in CP than copper.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 The only tweak you wanna make with GC is instead of repeating dosage after 48 hours (as per the directions); do the second dose 5-7 days after the first.
Is that a new change? I thought the guidance was two doses per the GC directions followed by another pair of doses 5-7 days later, total of 4 doses?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a new change? I thought the guidance was two doses per the GC directions followed by another pair of doses 5-7 days later, total of 4 doses?

No, it's always been just the two doses.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr Tims in my QT due to my DT being in Fallow. I spoke with Dr Tim and he suggested to add glass marbles to the tank stating that the bacteria adheres better to glass. Not sure how that differs from all the glass of the tank but went with it.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr Tims in my QT due to my DT being in Fallow. I spoke with Dr Tim and he suggested to add glass marbles to the tank stating that the bacteria adheres better to glass. Not sure how that differs from all the glass of the tank but went with it.

Interesting. I wonder if glass marbles could be used as bio-media in a HOB or canister? Probably packs too tight to allow proper water flow. o_O

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that curious. Glass doesn't have very much surface area.....

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that curious. Glass doesn't have very much surface area.....

Yeah, I made homemade wine for years and if I remember correctly, one of the reasons glass carboys are used in winemaking is because plastic is easier for bacteria to adhere to. Glass marbles were also used to fill the void in carboys, pushing the wine to the top to eliminate air.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I made homemade wine for years and if I remember correctly, one of the reasons glass carboys are used in winemaking is because plastic is easier for bacteria to adhere to. Glass marbles were also used to fill the void in carboys, pushing the wine to the top to eliminate air.

I know plastic will more easily absorb medications than glass. Which is why I prefer to use a glass pyrex bowl (with sand) in QT for sand sifters.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt that the bacteria will adhere to the glass just fine. There is a reason that biological media and higher quality live rock is porous. More surface area means more space for bacteria to grow. I'm not seeing glass marbles having enough surface area.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt that the bacteria will adhere to the glass just fine. There is a reason that biological media and higher quality live rock is porous. More surface area means more space for bacteria to grow. I'm not seeing glass marbles having enough surface area.
Could it be the recommendation because it was for his qt tank?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know plastic will more easily absorb medications than glass. Which is why I prefer to use a glass pyrex bowl (with sand) in QT for sand sifters.

Have you ever tested to see how much effect plastic might have? I'm planning to use Sterilite containers as my QT tanks. They are cheap, which is great, but with my physical handicap they will be soooo much easier to setup, take down, sanitize, etc. Plus, they already have lids. I'm less worried about copper because I can test for that. Maybe I should start with a little higher dose of CP when quarantining with CP?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back