How to quiet durso standpipe

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a reef ready 90 gallon seapora/aquarium masters. It has a durso standpipe and i am getting a ton of noise from the water flowing through the standpipe to the sump. I am running a 530-1350 gph sicce pump and have tried adjusting the flow rate to no avail. After the bulkhead i have a eshopps flex tube to the sump. I am not getting any flushing and very little gurgling. I did stick airline tubing in the vent and that only silenced the little gurgling i was getting. The main issue is the excess noise of the water rushing through the pipe. I know there are posts about quieting a durso but they all seem to be aimed towards flushing/sucking/gurgling not the extremely loud water flowing through the pipe. its loud enough where if i cant quiet it down i am going to sell it. Thank you for your help in advance

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to match the flow and air. Do you have a gate valve on the drain plumbing you can adjust. It could take a 2nd airline at the top as well. How big is the drain plumbing?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a reef ready 90 gallon seapora/aquarium masters. It has a durso standpipe and i am getting a ton of noise from the water flowing through the standpipe to the sump. I am running a 530-1350 gph sicce pump and have tried adjusting the flow rate to no avail. After the bulkhead i have a eshopps flex tube to the sump. I am not getting any flushing and very little gurgling. I did stick airline tubing in the vent and that only silenced the little gurgling i was getting. The main issue is the excess noise of the water rushing through the pipe. I know there are posts about quieting a durso but they all seem to be aimed towards flushing/sucking/gurgling not the extremely loud water flowing through the pipe. its loud enough where if i cant quiet it down i am going to sell it. Thank you for your help in advance
Do you have a photo of your plumbing after the bulkhead? IME, the eshopps flex pipe is very noisy... you may need to replace and use vinyl tubing or PVC. Also, how does the water enter the sump? Is there anything after that bulkhead?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to match the flow and air. Do you have a gate valve on the drain plumbing you can adjust. It could take a 2nd airline at the top as well. How big is the drain plumbing?
This.

My bet is that your need to add a gate valve on the primary drain.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you post a pic?
On the top of mine, I had similar issue and drilled a hole on top as siphon break/silencer with a rigid or flexible tube in the hole and now its dead silent

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My bet is that your need to add a gate valve on the primary drain.
Has this become standard practice? before siphon drains became popular, we would never restrict a drain line. Especially if there's only one as there is too much potential for overflows. This is why I standard siphon system has two or three stand pipes
In the days before siphon drains and DC pumps we would tee off our main return lines and go back to the sump at a couple of ball valves to match the flow from the pump going to the display tank.

I don't know if this has changed as I have been using a siphon drain for going on 20 years, but I don't personally think I would restrict the drain line.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a secondary drain, I dont worry about adding a gate valve to a primary drain.

Single drain setups, I typically use a ball valve if for some reason I need to shut off water completely and not for adjustment.

In the olden days of just AC pumps I'd just size the return pump gph to just under the max gph ability of the drain piping.

Many ways to skin a cat.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't restrict a single drain... if there is an emergency drain then gating the primary can work.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s two drains you want no air on the main.
For some reason I thought we established this was a single drain system. Maybe I'm wrong.

The above is correct if you have a siphon drain for your main standpipe. You will want no air going down that pipe. It will sound like a toilet flushing

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I thought we established this was a single drain system. Maybe I'm wrong.

The above is correct if you have a siphon drain for your main standpipe. You will want no air going down that pipe. It will sound like a toilet flushing
I don't think we've established anything since the OP hasn't responded to any replies.
Fwiw, I still think the first place to look is at the Eshopps flex tubing.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fwiw, I still think the first place to look is at the Eshopps flex tubing.
I had to look up what this is as I had no experience with it. It's basically a corrugated spa flex not to be confused with flexible PVC, which is also sometimes called spaflex.

You are probably right.

You probably couldn't pour a trickle down that stuff without hearing some noise.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look up what this is as I had no experience with it. It's basically a corrugated spa flex not to be confused with flexible PVC, which is also sometimes called spaflex.

You are probably right.

You probably couldn't pour a trickle down that stuff without hearing some noise.
Yep. No idea why eshopps still includes it with their sumps.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are probably right.

The OP's issue certainly may be caused by something else, but this is the first thing to look at. :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Seapora 90 reef ready which is a single 1” durso drain and 3/4” return. I would not gate valve this. Get rid of that corrugated pipe and use straight 1” pvc. Put 3/8” air bleed hole in top to creat as much as full siphon as possible. This is what I run and believe @vetteguy53081 does as well.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4766.jpeg
1000000845.png

I have since removed the valve. Make sure you use a long screen tube to reduce obstructions

OP
OP
B

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a gate valve. The stand pipe is 1 1/4 and the drain beyond the bulkhead is 1” flex pipe . Thank you I will look into re plumbing and adding a valve !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back