OP
OP
B

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of your plumbing after the bulkhead? IME, the eshopps flex pipe is very noisy... you may need to replace and use vinyl tubing or PVC. Also, how does the water enter the sump? Is there anything after that bulkhead?
IMG_9204.jpeg

It enters the sump into what aqueon calls bubble traps then spills over into the filter socks

OP
OP
B

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I thought we established this was a single drain system. Maybe I'm wrong.

The above is correct if you have a siphon drain for your main standpipe. You will want no air going down that pipe. It will sound like a toilet flushing
Single drain system. I posted some pictures in the responses

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Single drain system. I posted some pictures in the responses
Yep, it's a pretty standard old school system. I would get rid of the flex tubing as suggested by @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal (heck of a screen name btw!) Then see where that gets you.

Your next steps would be to turn down your return pump a bit if it is a DC pump and then consider widening slightly the air hole.

This system will never be as dead quiet as a two or three standpipe system with a siphon drain running but you can do okay.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you I will look into re plumbing and adding a valve !
Please do not add a restriction to a single drain system.

I mean you do you, but you are adding a significant risk of your return pump being able to overpower the drain and then it's water over the top of the tank onto the floor

OP
OP
B

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure or both.
We haven't even mentioned overflow water level and weir height.
weir height was also an issue! I installed the plastic piece over the weirs because i couldnt raise the water level in the display. when i did that the water was cascading through the weirs into the overflow dropping a good 3 inches creating alot of noise and i solved that with some foam blocking. not idea set up but works

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
B

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up running some temporary plumbing and got rid of the ribbed flex pipe and still had the rushing water noise. Adjusted the pump up and down to no avail. So i was playing around said screw it and put a ball valve in and after a few adjustment the rushing water sound was gone. I watched water levels for a while and everything seemed happy. Since then I removed the valve because I understand it’s dangerous. Does anyone have any opinions or where I go from here? If I do decide to go to a valve I think I want a gate valve just because of its easy adjustment. The ball valve was a pain . Thank you !

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I ended up running some temporary plumbing and got rid of the ribbed flex pipe and still had the rushing water noise. Adjusted the pump up and down to no avail. So i was playing around said screw it and put a ball valve in and after a few adjustment the rushing water sound was gone. I watched water levels for a while and everything seemed happy. Since then I removed the valve because I understand it’s dangerous. Does anyone have any opinions or where I go from here? If I do decide to go to a valve I think I want a gate valve just because of its easy adjustment. The ball valve was a pain . Thank you !
A durso drain is never going to be dead silent. A siphon will. But you don't want to use a siphon with only one standpipe.

If you're looking for dead silent convert both pipes to drains. Use the smaller one as your siphon and the larger one as a standard durso.
There are a ton of write-ups on how to do this in the DIY section of this forum

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back