How to raise ph without alkalinity

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep having low Ph 7.5 to 7.7 but the alkalinity is is 10.5. Any suggestions welcome

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 scrubber, open windows in your home, run line from skimmer to the outside air…..ps i have tried all of these, nothing has helped. Just came to the conclusion I’m doomed to have low ph.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 scrubber, open windows in your home, run line from skimmer to the outside air…..ps i have tried all of these, nothing has helped. Just came to the conclusion I’m doomed to have low ph.
Why not just run some buffer solution? Unless you live in an R30 insulated house, never go outside, and have 40 cats outside plumbing your skimmer outside is not gonna do much.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know these all increase Alkalinity?
Pretty much anything marine safe that raises pH chemically will also bump alkalinity. Some more than others. Something like sodium carbonate should get you off that gray area of 7.5 though while only slightly raising alkalinity. Not sure why such fear over bumping alkalinity a quarter to half a point.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep having low Ph 7.5 to 7.7 but the alkalinity is is 10.5. Any suggestions welcome
When was the last time you calibrated your probes? To include your device (assuming it is a Trident) that tests ALK? What time of day was that test conducted and are you running a skimmer? Also if all I mentioned has checked out, have you looked into a Co2 Scrubber?

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know these all increase Alkalinity?
I’ve tried opening the door and windows for air. Didn’t change anything. I was going to buy some Seachem buffer but I was worried it would raise alkalinity too much.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you calibrated your probes? To include your device (assuming it is a Trident) that tests ALK? What time of day was that test conducted and are you running a skimmer? Also if all I mentioned has checked out, have you looked into a Co2 Scrubber?
It’s a Hanna checker and it’s calibrated as far as I know. It’s a Hanna multi parameter checker and it’s only a few months old. I do have a protein skimmer. I’m still very much learning and i don’t have any idea how a Co2 scrubber works or anything

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much anything marine safe that raises pH chemically will also bump alkalinity. Some more than others. Something like sodium carbonate should get you off that gray area of 7.5 though while only slightly raising alkalinity. Not sure why such fear over bumping alkalinity a quarter to half a point.
Where do I get sodium carbonate from?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to. It’s always low when I check it.
Over the years, I have found PH tests the most unreliable of all.
As long as your having good water movement and the tank is not in a small room…..just forget it.

You’ll get a better bang for your buck by keeping all other parameters as steady as you possibly can, Id put your efforts there.

When you play with PH, you change the water chemistry.
it is, IS, what it is, but more importantly, it’s consistent.

Consistency is everything.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried opening the door and windows for air. Didn’t change anything. I was going to buy some Seachem buffer but I was worried it would raise alkalinity too much.

That will work. Honestly if it’s 7.5 in morning I would not worry about it. If it’s 7.5 mid-day I would add buffer. Over time they system will gain stability.

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how mucn contribute in each item. This is what I am doing.

My 53gal SPS - PH is 8.2 stable

1. Open window
2. Move water surface by adjusting return nozzle angle
3. Dose ESV B-ionic for maintain alkalinity and increase PH
4. Run protain skimmer 24/7

My 13.5gal LPS - PH is 8.0 stable

1. Open window
2. Move water surface by adjusting return nozzle angle

Both tanks are in the same room. Fortunately, my room have a large window for breathing. I live in North California.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a co2 meter in your room? My fish room can run as high as 1600ppm and as low as 460ppm depending on how many windows in the house are open and for how long. The hottest AC days are the highest levels otherwise we keep most windows open for 12 hours or so, it usually takes a couple hours for the levels to get in the upper 400's

I test with Red Sea to check against my Apex and at times use a Pinpoint all at the same time, all three having different readings. I just take the mean and use it to adjust the daily Apex readings. I am content with any reading between 7.8 and 8.6, I have never been outside this range so no action has been needed.

Randy sums it up here.

Last edited:

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your pH meter is accurate, I would recommend you recirculate the air to your skimmer cup chamber. Instead of pulling in fresh air, run a tube from the top of your skimmer to the air inlet of your pump, assuming you can reasonably seal the system. You can also add a CO2 scrubber in between. I'll see if I can grab a few shots of my rig tomorrow, need to change the scrubber media anyway.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back